So this dog bit me...

Also, where I live it's quite common for people to bring their dogs to the schoolyard to run around.

Sorry, I'm getting ready for school and I did read through your post rather fast, and didn't see that last bit.

However, common or not, doesn't change the fact that a schoolyard is not the proper place for letting a dog run free. Most children and many adults do not know the proper way to act around a strange dog, and if your dog is the type that doesn't know how to act around those uninformed children and adults, the responsibility is on the owner to not put the dog in that situation.

I used to be a postman. I also used to be a dog owner. (The best dog in the world, as it happens. She was a lovely Alsatian/Labrador/Collie mix.)

I have learned than no matter how much you love your dog, how well you treat it, how well you train it, it will always behave as dogs do: like an animal.

I have learned that no matter how intelligent a person is, no matter how moral, no matter how pleasant, when their dog bites someone they will behave as all people do: deny responsibility.

jer01.jpg

I'm fine with the...fine...

Be careful, though. 9 times out of 10 it's not the dog's fault, it's the bad owner's fault, and that seems to be the case here. If she keeps getting fined, good! But a lot of places have a law that would put 'vicious' dogs to sleep, and the dog does not deserve to be punished like that for the bad owner.

I guess what I'm saying is, keep reporting her for not keeping the dog on the leash, but please don't report any more dog attacks, because that would probably be the end. Responsible owners make good dogs, irresponsible owners make bad dogs, punish the owner not the dog.

:)

OK....well, I thought I was having a photography-related discussion!! LOL!! I mean...I took a photo, and it helped get the woman fined, again. ...Which is a good thing!! :O)

I didn't post the pics because I'm not sure of there is a legality issue...we almost ended up in court, because she didn't want to pay the fine, and I would have had to testify???

Dmitri....Dmitri....Dmitri...actually, in FACT, what happened was......My son (age 5) and I were standing still....watching my DD cross the road. A woman with several dogs came to the school ground (didn't see or hear them at first....you know.....because we were ...looking the other way...). The dog approached from behind....started barking and then approached us and started nipping at my DS, who was, you know....standing still beside me...looking the other way until we heard barking. So, yeah...I can surely see how you think we provoked the dog to nip at my son, and then bite me. LMAO!

Don't get me wrong....I'm a dog-lover....an animal lover, myself. But, to tell you the truth...I'm not very fond of being bitten. I'm "funny" that way!

I won't tolerate the actions of this woman, or anyone who puts other people at risk because they do mot have their dog on a leash, or at the very least controled. This situation could have ended up much, much, worse.....the dog could have bitten my DS, and then my DH (and/or I) would be in jail....

ETA....Oh, JWD....did you say not to report any more attacks??? OK. I'm good with that....as long as there are no more attacks!!!!!! I agree that in many situations it is the owners fault...and maybe many dog bites are because children are teasing it...or it's trying to defend itself, or what have you. In my case, the dog really frightens me (as much as the owner surprises me!) because we were standing still, and looking the other way when it approached us!

:O)

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong....I'm a dog-lover....an animal lover, myself. But, to tell you the truth...I'm not very fond of being bitten. I'm "funny" that way!

LOL I understand. I guess for me it's 20 + years in animal rescue. I have been bit, clawed, chomped on, scratched & kicked by dogs, cats, snakes, wild animals & horses, so many times I don't think anything of it. (I get routine rabies shots from the health department)

copyIMG_4721-1.jpg

LOL I understand. I guess for me it's 20 + years in animal rescue. I have been bit, clawed, chomped on, scratched & kicked by dogs, cats, snakes, wild animals & horses, so many times I don't think anything of it. (I get routine rabies shots from the health department)

Your respect level just went to 1,000,000 for me. You are a cooooool person. :)

BTW, its nice to see that someone thinks snakes are cool enough to keep around. I don't keep them as pets (I really don't think they'd appreciate it), but as far as in the wild, I think they're very cool. My favorite is a black snake. :)

Anyway, thanks for doing a job most people would hate to do.

Your respect level just went to 1,000,000 for me. You are a cooooool person. :)

BTW, its nice to see that someone thinks snakes are cool enough to keep around. I don't keep them as pets (I really don't think they'd appreciate it), but as far as in the wild, I think they're very cool. My favorite is a black snake. :)

Anyway, thanks for doing a job most people would hate to do.

Thank you! I appreciate that. :) I like all snakes but favor the Pit Vipers. My first rescue was a Copperhead.

I agree with Senor Hound....You, John Olexa are indeed *cool*!! Thank you for what you do!

copyIMG_4721-1.jpg

I'll have to say I do respect people who don't kill snakes on sight. Personally I DO keep snakes as pets (believe me they don't mind). As anyone who grew up in the sticks like I did knows snakes hide 99% of the time which leads to snakes in captivity being fairly happy they tend to get more exercise in their smaller cages because they're not as afraid of being eaten (snakes are actually pretty vulnerable in the wild). Rattlesnakes are no worse than any other snake as far as I'm concerned just handle the situation properly and you won't have a mouse/rat infestation...

Most reactions

Back