So this happened

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I really struggled between selling my D800 and buying a D850 (because the D850 had many meaningful upgrades that have hindered me with my D800), or buying a D500 as an addition to my kit and keeping my D800. Well, you can see which won out! Other than the cost of the D850 being a bit cost prohibitive, the year end sales were really good on the D500. $200 off the body and a free factory grip (normally $449). It was the same price all together as a refurbished body only. Still not a price to buy on a whim, but since I was ready to make a purchase anyway, the timing was right.

I also added 2 Flashpoint XPLOR 600 HSS TTL mono lights, a 47" and a 38" round softboxes, and the appropriate stands. I have been really happy with them so far.

The Xplor 600 monolight variants seem to be gaining some traction. Compared to the very costly Profoto similar model, the Xplor seems to beat or equal it on many test metrics. I watched a lengthy video of the Xplor vs. a Profoto,and the Xplor actually looked to me to be the better-spec'd unit. Of course, the Xplor came out like two years later, so there was a clear benchmark from the pioneering Profoto light unit for which to aim and better...but still...quite impressive to equal and beat Profoto for wayyyy less money.

Nice-a D500 and a Nikon factory grip for it! Sweeeet!

The Xplor 600 monolight variants seem to be gaining some traction. Compared to the very costly Profoto similar model, the Xplor seems to beat or equal it on many test metrics. I watched a lengthy video of the Xplor vs. a Profoto,and the Xplor actually looked to me to be the better-spec'd unit. Of course, the Xplor came out like two years later, so there was a clear benchmark from the pioneering Profoto light unit for which to aim and better...but still...quite impressive to equal and beat Profoto for wayyyy less money.

Nice-a D500 and a Nikon factory grip for it! Sweeeet!
I really can't speak to the Profoto, but I did see it was the most direct competition with the Flashpoint XPLOR series when I was looking. I don't get too into in the specs for my purchase since I'm not a demanding professional, but these have definitely performed admirably for me so far. It is always easier to be the copycat than the pioneer! They are plenty powerful, the build quality is pretty good, and they are very responsive when in use. It didn't hurt that I got them on sale and the TTL version was the same price as the non-TTL version, so it was a no brainer at that point, otherwise I would have just gotten the manual only version to save $200 each.

For anyone thinking of buying them, I would suggest spending the extra $70 up front and getting the R2 Pro transmitter. The standard R2 it comes with is ok, but it's clumsy to use. The R2 Pro was much better thought out, has a couple nice features, and us really easy to use.

That's a nice haul for Christmas, congrats. While I don't have the 600 yet, I think you will like it and the R2 system. I have the streaklight which isn't as powerful and I love it. I also a 38" Octabox and it is awesome with my system, I'm sure that you will love it too.

Now get out there and shoot something with all of this and post the images.

That's a nice haul for Christmas, congrats. While I don't have the 600 yet, I think you will like it and the R2 system. I have the streaklight which isn't as powerful and I love it. I also a 38" Octabox and it is awesome with my system, I'm sure that you will love it too.

Now get out there and shoot something with all of this and post the images.
So far I am loving the lights and modifiers, especially the 38". It's much more portable than the 47" since it's both shallower and it's the hexapop series. Super quick to set up and take down. I am quite disappointed with the Flashpoint light stands, though. I have to return one due to poor workmanship. The tension screw for the legs stripped out the third time I used it with only light turning force. I know they're very inexpensive stands, so I didn't expect much in terms of build quality, but I did expect them to be free of defects like that.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I bought another light stand that I use for my 360. Better construction and a little heavier but it also extends further.

I own literally everything you just purchased and can confidently tell you that you’re going to freaking love it.

I’m headed out in an hour to shoot high school basketball.. 24-70 on my D810 and 70-200 on my D500. Strobing the gym with my two xplor 600s.

Will share photos later or tomorrow.. this will be the biggest test yet on the monolights.

I own literally everything you just purchased and can confidently tell you that you’re going to freaking love it.

I’m headed out in an hour to shoot high school basketball.. 24-70 on my D810 and 70-200 on my D500. Strobing the gym with my two xplor 600s.

Will share photos later or tomorrow.. this will be the biggest test yet on the monolights.
Cool, I'd be really interested to see how they turn out! That' a tall order for battery powered monolights. Did you get the AC adapters? I bought one with the lights in case I end up in a long term shooting situation.

Cool, I'd be really interested to see how they turn out! That' a tall order for battery powered monolights. Did you get the AC adapters? I bought one with the lights in case I end up in a long term shooting situation.

I haven’t purchased the AC adapter yet but it’s on my future radar. I’m at the game now and they’re performing great. I’ve have a few failure to fires, but it my just be he recycle times getting slower as the battery drains.

I’ll throw up more detailed info when I get the photos edited.

Destin
Could I see how you use the 70-200 for basketball?
I used a 18-140 and the only time I recall being above 100mm was shooting the other side of the court.
In fact the other night I was using a 35mm on my D7200, and the 35 will replace the 18-140 for basketball.
Granted I was not really interested in the other team, only my team, so I had no real reason for the reach of a long lens. And I was on the court floor, not the bleachers.

Destin
Could I see how you use the 70-200 for basketball?
I used a 18-140 and the only time I recall being above 100mm was shooting the other side of the court.
In fact the other night I was using a 35mm on my D7200, and the 35 will replace the 18-140 for basketball.
Granted I was not really interested in the other team, only my team, so I had no real reason for the reach of a long lens. And I was on the court floor, not the bleachers.

Yeah, I’ll show you when I get the photos edited. But of note is that I ended up using it on my D810, which is a full frame body. That makes it a lot more usable for basketball than on a crop body. When I used it on my D500 it was always for mid court shots of players running towards me.

Contrary to what many people think, in many sports scenarios, a full-frame camera makes a 70-200mm zoom lens a nearly ideal lens, while a crop-body makes a 70-200 a PITA, especially for indoors sports like wrestling, volleyball,and basketball, as well as for court sports like tennis. Having a WIDER field of view on the camera-side of a zoom like a 70-200 makes the lens so,so handy for a lot of locations, while having a cro-0sensor body on the rear-end of a 70-200 lens can, many times, make the lens too narrow in its angle of view.

Looking forward to hearing/seeing XLPOR 600 reports or photos from you, Destin!

Contrary to what many people think, in many sports scenarios, a full-frame camera makes a 70-200mm zoom lens a nearly ideal lens, while a crop-body makes a 70-200 a PITA, especially for indoors sports like wrestling, volleyball,and basketball, as well as for court sports like tennis. Having a WIDER field of view on the camera-side of a zoom like a 70-200 makes the lens so,so handy for a lot of locations, while having a cro-0sensor body on the rear-end of a 70-200 lens can, many times, make the lens too narrow in its angle of view.

I generally find the 70-200 is too long on crop bodies yet perfect for so many situations on full frame. I think there's a reason there was so much development put into that focal length in a full frame version.

I generally find the 70-200 is too long on crop bodies yet perfect for so many situations on full frame. I think there's a reason there was so much development put into that focal length in a full frame version.

Yes...and there's been a shocking LACK of development in an equivalent field of view lens for APS-C cameras!

Yes...and there's been a shocking LACK of development in an equivalent field of view lens for APS-C cameras!

I am going through that very issue right now, 70-200 f/4 for my DX D7200, or a 50-200 variable aperture f/4-5.6. But I really want that extra stop at f/4, if not 2 stops at f/2.8, for lower light indoor and night events.

The Nikon 50-200 f/4-5.6 is the closest DX lens by Nikon. But it is a variable aperture, and slow. I want at least a fixed f/4.

The Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 was the best match (75-225 FX equiv), but then Sigma stopped making it. Instead they have the faster but shorter range 50-100 f/1.8, and it does not have VR.

BTW, I think the 70-200 is too long for basketball and volleyball, from the court floor. Maybe it is OK from the bleachers. I just got through shooting a couple basketball games with a 35mm on my DX body (50mm FX equiv), and there were many times when I felt that I could use a wider lens.

I do agree that the 70-200 zoom is a GREAT field sport lens for football, soccer and similar. One of my favorite lens was the first version of the 80-200 f/4.5 on a F2.

I shot my 70-210 on my DX body and you are correct, at the short end it is not wide enough, for use on the sidelines.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back