So what do I need for first strobe

Kbarredo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I've been using an sb900 speed light and would like to buy a strobe for indoor shots. What do I need. I have a nikon d5000 do strobes have hot shoe triggers or is it all pc. Also do I need something to prevent the strobe from shorting out my camera.

So you are looking for a studio style strobe?

Studio strobes have a trigger socket, it's usually a standard 1/8 mini-phone type plug. So if you are using a cord or wireless receiver, you would need a cord that plugs into the socket on the light. The 'PC' connection is the universal type connection for the camera end of the cord. I don't know why, it's a terrible connection.
So if you buy a studio strobe, it will likely come with a PC to 1/8 cord.

Now, the problem is that I don't think your particular camera has a PC port (it's usually only the higher end cameras). So you would need another solution. One would be a hot-shoe to PC adapter. It's a 'box' that slides onto your hotshoe and has a PC port to attach the cord to. A better solution, IMO, would be an adapter with a standard 1/8 socket, then you could use a standard 1/8 to 1/8 cord.

Even better, would be a wireless trigger. That way you don't have to worry about cords. These have been discussed, every other day, on the forum for a long time, so you could search out a lot of good info. HERE is a cheap kit.

Lastly, most studio strobes have a built-in optical slave cell. That means that when they detect another flash going off...they will fire as well. So really, you could use your SB-900 to trigger the strobe....but this means that you have to have the SB-900 on-camera and have it firing, which may add light to your scene, that you don't want.

How is strength controlled on strobes is it on the strobe itself

Yes, most strobes have a variable power setting. And besides that, you use the lens aperture, the ISO and the distance of the light to control the exposure.

Hera are some decent, but affordable (cheaper) studio lights to look at.
AlienBees: Illuminating the Galaxy with Professional Photographic Lighting Equipment
Buy FlashpointMonolights | Adorama, the Photography People
Buy Monolights | Adorama, the Photography People
Digital cameras, lenses and photo gear at calumetphoto.com
Monolights

These ones aren't cheap, but they're really nice and they're Canadian. Welcome to Lightrein® | quality muslin backdrops, lighting kits, lightbanks, egg crates, light stands, speed rings, studio accessories

Cool I was thinking of buying a strobe with a modeling light as a main light then use my speedlight as a slave. The modeling light would get rid of alot of guess work for me. The sb900 modeling light won't work with my d5000

Most reactions

Back