So what do you think?

Here is something else you can do; find a photography business card you like online, then put the link to your gallery/site on it with all your other information.
Then you can be an opportunistic photographer (parties/events/where ever), or you can solicit at the right locations (scenic/tourist locations). If you find yourself with a willing subject, take the shots and then ask them their name. Write the name down so you'll remember it and tell them there will be a private link on your gallery with their name as the password, and they can purchase prints on there if they like, or not. Tell them it will be left up for say a month (unless they contact you).

If you're good and they love their shots, you'll be headed in the right direction.

It's important to looks legit, and not like a creepy with a P&S. :lol:

^^^ thats a good idea, i was looking into this too... even if you don't have a "business" just a card you can have handy with your name/phone/email and maybe your blog that has some pictures on it. that way you're not writing down your phone number on a piece of paper when someone wants your contact... it shows that even though you're doing it for a hobby, you're serious about your hobby. its really cheap too... there's tons of sites out there but this is just one of them...

Vistaprint - Business Cards - Full Color Printing - Digital Printing Company | Vistaprint

I think it would be a great idea only for close friends. It also would be great practice, something I need a lot of.

Great price on those business cards. This is a great help guys.

I do not have a portfolio and I am not trying to make one at this point. I have a long way to go before that happens.

just playing devils advocate, but why would people want you to take portraits of their kids if you have a "long way to go" before you'll consider making a portfolio?

it's going to be a tough sell i think if you're not confident in your ability...free or not.

I think there's a time and place for everything, and this isn't either of them. This year when we went trick or treating one of the neighbors stapled her business info (daycare) on the treats, I thought it was kind of weird.

Well, the answer will always be no unless she asks. The worst they can say is no, so she really has nothing to lose.

Any update? Did your kids already have their Valentine's party?

Well, the answer will always be no unless she asks. The worst they can say is no, so she really has nothing to lose.

Well- I'm not sure I agree here. Word of mouth is the best or WORST advertisement. If you really aren't quite ready to do portraits to a professional quality, I don't think I would do any form of advertising. Offering to do sessions for free is a great idea- letting people know that you are in the learning stage.

Most reactions

Back