So what happened to the colors?

Last edited:
Two tripods/c-stands and a stick/boom in the middle to hold the paper.

I don't know how to create a space between the softbox and the paper - any ideas?

Check this video out -
Which type of color layer are you referring to?

Thank you very much!

Very kind of you !

I have a 42" reflector with a stand that I don't use. It's white on one side and gold on the other.

Can I use it in front of my softbox as a diffuser?

Sorry to be so ignorant but I'm new to the game.

If you can remove the gold side of the reflector and the white side is transparent then yes you could use it.

If you can remove the gold side of the reflector and the white side is transparent then yes you could use it.

But how about the black bar holding the diffuser ?
imageserve.jpg

Just shot this snapshot of lunch with my phone and black bar doesn't '
black bar chicken.jpg
seem' to be a problem.

Yeah I was going to say it shouldn't affect the light and to just try it. But this looks like good soft light.

Last edited:
Yeah I was going to say it should affect the light and to just try it. But this looks like good soft light.
Does seem to be fine :)

Not sure how others might support a diffuser.

The way I'm doing it right now is very good because I can line up the height and angle of the reflector with the softbox.

Thanks for the help.

Just trying a solid color layer in PS and using a layer mask to try and make my last chicken photo (not this one) look like beef.

Finding the correct color seems the most difficult.

Just shot this snapshot of lunch with my phone and black bar doesn't 'View attachment 117139 seem' to be a problem.
I think that's the best looking plate of food that you've made yet!

The reason the bar doesn't cast a shadow is because the softbox is so much larger than the bar, therefore any possible shadow is completely diffused. That's a nice setup you have there.

Just shot this snapshot of lunch with my phone and black bar doesn't 'View attachment 117139 seem' to be a problem.
I think that's the best looking plate of food that you've made yet!

The reason the bar doesn't cast a shadow is because the softbox is so much larger than the bar, therefore any possible shadow is completely diffused. That's a nice setup you have there.

And it was a snapshot on my phone. I will try to duplicate it with my camera tomorrow.

Thanks.

I agree colors look ok but you can add a color layer in PS to make the colors more like you want them, and thanks for posting a BTS images and I see you are using some tracing paper but this is only adding another layer of diffusion not making your light source bigger or softer. To make the source bigger you need to add some separation between the softbox and diffusion.

Here is my edit:
View attachment 117018

Thanks for the post.

I don't know how to create a space between the softbox and the paper - any ideas?

I tried hue and saturation and also photo filter.

I just checked some leftover sauce and it is more orange than I remembered but there's no yellow so that is what I will have to work on.

Changed my mind

I agree colors look ok but you can add a color layer in PS to make the colors more like you want them, and thanks for posting a BTS images and I see you are using some tracing paper but this is only adding another layer of diffusion not making your light source bigger or softer. To make the source bigger you need to add some separation between the softbox and diffusion.

Here is my edit:
View attachment 117018

Thanks for the post.

I tried hue and saturation and also photo filter.

I just checked some leftover sauce and it is more orange than I remembered but there's no yellow so that is what I will have to work on.

Changed my mind

N
imageserve.jpg
ew setup ;-)

colors look good to me, the fake blur does not.

I agree with you about faking blur but I guess it will sometimes be a good skill to fall back on.

Just tried a different fake blur in PS

Is it better? Less obvious?

Thanks.
chicken auberging focus.jpg

Most reactions

Back