So what should I get?

Allay!

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm just an amateur photographer, but lately I've had my heart set on getting some sort of camera that was popular in the mid 60's.
The problem is, I don't know what exactly to get. I'm not too familiar with older camera types, considering I'm only a teenager. My aunt recommended a Kodak Brownie Starlet, but I'm still not sure. She said she isn't too big with film photography.
So here are a couple of questions to you film photographers out there:
1) What are some good camera models that were frequently used back then? I'm not asking for an SLR, I'll purchase a vintage one when I'm more experienced with film cameras. I'm looking for one that's inexpensive, and has early color.
2) How is film obtained? And would I need a darkroom to develop?

I'm sorry for such newb questions. As I said, I'm not familiar with the world of film photography as I am with digital, but film has always sparked my interest far more.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Oh yikes! I'm so sorry.
This thread was accidentally created twice!

I would score a Mamiya C220 or C330 TLR (twin lens reflex) camera with the lens set. Perhaps a Rolleiflex TLR or a Yashica TLR.Takes 120 roll film and it is still processed (can be by you for little money or education). And this is a rock solid camera. Well worth the investment.

Actually if you are just starting, a 35mm SLR or rangefinder would be far more appropriate for you.

35mm film is still readilly available and processed at any local drugstore.

I don't have many recomendations prior to 1970 but....

The Kodak signet series of rangefinder was a desent little performer from the fifties. My Signet 40 takes some very nice shots, I seldom use it due to it requiring external metering....I've gotten a little spoiled.

The Leica III series spanning from the early thirties all the way to ninteen sixty was top of the line for 35mm range finders. Leicas are expencive and where commonly forged, but a real one is worth any price. I have not had the oppertunity to get the photos from my Leica IIIf BS yet but, I just turned in the roll this afternoon

The Argus C3 rangefinder (also known as the Brick) is a popular and very durable camera spanning from 1939 to 1966. I paid less than thirty USD for my C3

With 35mm SLRs there are countless to choose from so.....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back