So what's coming down the line?

marossity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Back in 1985, I bought a new Minolta MAXXUM 7000 35 mm camera. It was absolutely wonderful. But, the years drifted by and now it is just obsolete. It still works as good as the day I bought it, but of course the new digi cameras coupled with a nice computer have surpassed it. I have a couple of the digital cameras, and am now going to replace them with an expensive one. Nikon or Canon. But I am wondering what's coming down the line with the digital cameras. Perhaps the reader remembers the past years with the computers coming out every six months making the one you just bought obsolete very quickly. Even the digital cameras did the same thing with 3 megapix, 8 megapix, 10, megapix, etc. I would like to know what the manufacturers have on the drawing boards. I would hate to lay out three thousand dollars or more only to discover in a few months that this newer camera made my purchase obsolete.
Any thoughts on this?

I think we will see in the next couple of years more modular systems and upgrades in weight reduction. Apart from going up in Megapixels, increasing in ISO performance and getting smaller where else can cameras really go?

Yes, that's the $64 question. Where can cameras go? More megapixels? Who. outside of professionals and maybe the very serious non-pros, needs more pixels? As for smaller, that wouldn't do for me. I can't handle the really small ones out there now. Ah yes, increasing ISO sounds good. Which leads me to believe we will see a major change in the CMOS and CCD image sensors. I was reading a bit about the up and coming QuantumFilm. Maybe that's the biggy coming.
Okay, another question. When is the best season to buy a new camera? I can wait until spring, but I wonder if that's that thing to do or not.

Last edited:
Apart from going up in Megapixels, increasing in ISO performance and getting smaller where else can cameras really go?

Better dynamic range! That would be number one on my list.

Apart from going up in Megapixels, increasing in ISO performance and getting smaller where else can cameras really go?

Better dynamic range! That would be number one on my list.

YES!

Consumer/ProSumer DSLRs only record 5 stops of light. The big boys record 9. While film records 12 (out of 16 total).

So better dynamic ranges and less noise are the two things I want for photography.

Consumer/ProSumer DSLRs only record 5 stops of light. The big boys record 9. While film records 12 (out of 16 total).
Where did you read that?

Comparisons of dynamic range between digital and film have to at least take into account:
· Film type (low-contrast print film and slide film have very different amounts of dynamic range.)
· Pixel density of the image sensor(s) being compared.

When digital first started to take off it was estimated a digital camera needed 20 MP to have equal the resolution a 35 mm x 24 mm frame of 135 format film had. That has changed over time to range from 4 MP to 16 MP.

Last edited:
1. New approaches to reducing or eliminating picture noise.
2. Faster continuous autofocus for fast stills and video.
3. In camera panorama shooting and stitching
4. 3D format without the glasses
5. Higher dynamic range and HDR as an automatic on-camera mode
6. Camera stabilization matched to lens stabilization to enable hand held
long exposures.
7. Faster sensors and further compression of RAW format without quality
loss.
8. Modular cameras which can be upgraded by changing the module rather
than buying a new camera.

Just a few.

skieur

Most reactions