So who does play with press type 2x3 and 4x5 cameras?

Soocom1

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just curious as to who plays with these guys and what you do with them..

For the moment, my Baby Graphic is sitting on a shelf, waiting for me to learn how to use it. I am in a bit of a photo slump and also juggling far too many things at the moment, so it's going to have to wait a bit longer.

In 2014 I bought a 1938 baby Speed Graphic, and used it mostly with a Linhof 6x6 rollfilm back. It was a lot of fun using it, and the physical act of taking photos with the old-timer was enjoyable.

I've been using LF cameras for well over 40 years, and have quire a few.

These days I also regularly use press cameras I have 2 Speed Graphics a pre-Anniversary and a Pacemaker however I prefer my Super Graphic as it has better movements and it's great for hand held work

My pre-Anniversarv Speed Graphic gets mostly used used with a Petzval, a 420mm Telephoto and TTH Cooke Triplet.

I have a 6x9 Busch Pressman, most models aren't friendly in terms of lenses, mine uses 4 screw bolts to hold the lens board in place so changing lenses in the field would be slow. In addition the lens board and aperture of the front standard are small so restricts the choice of lenses.

When I went to Canada 2½ years ago I made myself a a 6x7 camera which was much more practical, I used the focus track and front standard from Pacemaker Graphics .

Ian

Last edited:
Some years back, I picked up a Mamiya Super 23, with a grip and 2 backs, for a song. The backs both need new seals, and the camera itself needs a good CLR and I've yet to spring for doing it.

I also have a 4x5 Tachihara that I've not played with in a while.

Just curious as to who plays with these guys and what you do with them..
I don't have it anymore, but back when I was into B&W and processing and printing my own film, I had a Speed Graphic with a 4x5 back and a 120 roll film back. Eventually, I gave it all away.

Some years back, I picked up a Mamiya Super 23, with a grip and 2 backs, for a song. The backs both need new seals, and the camera itself needs a good CLR and I've yet to spring for doing it.

Mamiya Super 23... was that also sold as another camera model??

Hmm. . . I don't think so. Not that I'm aware of. The model has a lot of different finishes, I do know that.

I watched a couple of videos on the camera last night. It looks like a really useful camera, but you are right, it does not have much in the way of movements, just some limited back movements. There was a 127 mm lens made for use with Polaroid film, but I am not sure if this camera was ever branded as a Polaroid, although I do seem to remember hearing that there was some association with Polaroid around this camera.I believe that the American made camera that looks similar, the Koni-Omega, was the camera that perhaps I was thinking about when earlier I asked if this Camera might have been offered as another brand. It appears as though there might have been a black version of the body and perhaps that was called something different, perhaps the Mamiya Universal Press camera?

I read that there were 10 lenses in eight different focal lengths.

Last edited:
I watched a short eight minute video that was without narration, and I watched a longer 23 minute video of some elderly British former pro that had used his maniya super press 23 for quite a few assignments back in the day. He had a 65 mm F8, the fairly, normal 100 mm F3.5, and a 150 mm. He also had the grip, the ground glass back, and a few other accessories. He also had a couple of finder masks and a set of three internal back masks: one for 6 x 9 cm, one for 6 x 7 cm, one for 645. He also had the viewfinder masking set, to change what was seen through the viewfinder when using the different masks like 6 x 9 and 645

Overall it lookedlike a pretty cool camera.

I am still thinking seriously of getting eithr a 6x7 or digital back for the Toyo.
If i find a Leaf or some other brand the only issue would be software for the view side.

I watched a short eight minute video that was without narration, and I watched a longer 23 minute video of some elderly British former pro that had used his maniya super press 23 for quite a few assignments back in the day. He had a 65 mm F8, the fairly, normal 100 mm F3.5, and a 150 mm. He also had the grip, the ground glass back, and a few other accessories. He also had a couple of finder masks and a set of three internal back masks: one for 6 x 9 cm, one for 6 x 7 cm, one for 645. He also had the viewfinder masking set, to change what was seen through the viewfinder when using the different masks like 6 x 9 and 645

Overall it lookedlike a pretty cool camera.
Sounds interesting! The normal F3.5 lens is the one I have...I don't think I have another one. Geez, it's been too long if I can't recall that. :icon_redface:

My understanding is that the Press 23 was pretty much viewed only as a "press camera," not a field camera, so expanded movements weren't considered. Great - for limited use. ;)

Mamiya Super 23... was that also sold as another camera model??

Yes. Yes. The Mamiya Press camera went through several iterations:
Mamiya Press
Mamiya Press G
Mamiya Press S
Mamiya 23 Standard
Mamiya Super 23
Mamiya Universal

See: Mamiya Press - Wikipedia

Mamiya modified the camera for Polaroid, calling it the Polaroid 600 SE (AKA "GOOSE" as in 6OOSE). Same as the Universal except the lens flange is different, so Polaroid owners have to buy Polaroid versions of the Mamiya lenses. The Polaroid image is bigger. The 75mm, 127mm and 150mm lenses were designed to cover the Polaroid photo.

See: moominstuff: Mamiya Universal VS Polaroid 600SE

Most reactions

Back