So, ya got any plans made for Aug. 21, 2017?

Why am I too late?

I'm figuring on sacrificing a virgin to appease the sun gods so the light returns. I mean seriously what else it there to do? Now where did we put that sacrificial stone alter?

I'm figuring on sacrificing a virgin to appease the sun gods so the light returns. I mean seriously what else it there to do? Now where did we put that sacrificial stone alter?

Dunno about you, but I'd use an altar instead.

Sun - 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Toolkit | Planets - NASA Solar System Exploration!

A b s o l u t e l y.
I'll be in Missouri.

Plan A (No clouds at my primary site)
I'll be about 300 feet from the center of the path of totality, which will last 2 minutes and 38 seconds.
I arrive the night before the eclipse.
Tent, stove, sleeping bag, cot, 5 gallon bucket and a toilet seat for ... well you know.

Plan B (Clouds at site A)
I'll be 600 feet from the center of the path of totality - 2 minutes and 37 seconds.

Plan C (Clouds at both site A & site B)
I'll be 1600 feet from the center of the path of totality - 2 minutes 33 seconds.

I'll be making images using my 1000 mm focal length refracting telescope on an alt/az mount that has manual slow motion controls.
I'll be using a solar filter from the start of the eclipse until just before totality.During totality a filer isn't needed.

I'm looking at possibly St. Joseph Missouri. It's about a 4.5 hour drive, which would make it a difficult-but-doable day trip.

I'm looking at possibly St. Joseph Missouri. It's about a 4.5 hour drive, which would make it a difficult-but-doable day trip.
If you do there is a park on the Northwest part of town called Krug park. Lots of nice open space to get a good view.

I'll be making images using my 1000 mm focal length refracting telescope on an alt/az mount that has manual slow motion controls.
I'll be using a solar filter from the start of the eclipse until just before totality.During totality a filer isn't needed.

I plan on taking ZERO photos. Kinda like this lady:

enjoy_the_moment.jpg

I'll be in eastern Wyoming on the top of nice tall hill with a 200-mile view to the northwest.

Sun - 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Toolkit | Planets - NASA Solar System Exploration!

A b s o l u t e l y.
I'll be in Missouri.

Plan A (No clouds at my primary site)
I'll be about 300 feet from the center of the path of totality, which will last 2 minutes and 38 seconds.
I arrive the night before the eclipse.
Tent, stove, sleeping bag, cot, 5 gallon bucket and a toilet seat for ... well you know.

Plan B (Clouds at site A)
I'll be 600 feet from the center of the path of totality - 2 minutes and 37 seconds.

Plan C (Clouds at both site A & site B)
I'll be 1600 feet from the center of the path of totality - 2 minutes 33 seconds.

I won't be in the right place for totality, but it would be cool to take pictures for the partial eclipse that I'm able to see. Would a solar filter work for that? Are there particular brands that are better than others?

I can see the headline now: Sacrifice of virgin called off because no altar could be found. :02.47-tranquillity:

My camera needs an appointment for this special day. :05.18-flustered:

I won't be in the right place for totality, but it would be cool to take pictures for the partial eclipse that I'm able to see. Would a solar filter work for that? Are there particular brands that are better than others?
Yes, you would need a solar filter.
Brand - Baader

Like motel rooms already reserved along/near the path of totality, most of the glass solar filter makers are out of stock since
there aren't many companies that make them and of those that do the companies are pretty small.

We can still get solar safety film so we can make a solar filter to fit whatever optic we are using.
Baader AstroSolar Solar Filter Film Sheets | Build A White Light Solar Filter

The film type solar filters have several advantages over glass filters.

I plan on taking ZERO photos.
I'll only be making 1 photo of totality, near the middle of time the eclipse is total.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back