Soccer Composite and Portraits

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Did a shoot with my 12 year old niece recently after she told me she was unhappy with the soccer portraits taken by the school photographer. I'm really happy with the results, but I'm afraid I'm just being biased because of my relation to her so I'm looking for C&C from others.

1.)
Proof-1-4-L.jpg

2.)
Proof-1-3-L.jpg

3.)
Proof-1-2-L.jpg

4.) After shooting the portraits, we decided to have some fun. This is a composite of 3 different images:
Proof-1-5-L.jpg

I definitely like #1, on my monitor it could use a touch of darkening. #2 is different and I like it also, but it seems slightly tilted to the right. To me, #3 says more 'Glamour' than sports portrait and #4 is just odd to my eye.

I like them.
As mentioned from Tirediron above on corrections
I like #1 too as it's a great happy closeup which I'm sure the parents would love.
#3 is the focus off ? - face looks a little fuzzy - looking from iphone though
I like # 4 too with the flash.

I've found from Shooting soccer now for years that many parents like images that we as photographers may not like. Great portraits though I'm sure you and her parents are happy.

Coaching girls soccer I've seen their arms (#4) in all weird positions when they kick and run, though her's are close to her body. As a ref I've had to not call "hands" many times. One game I could have whistled over 60 times as arms were flailing all over the place - told the coaches I wasn't going to call anything non-blatant with the hands/arms after a few minutes of observation.

#1 is the best, but your subject is too low in the frame. Bottom edge of the frame should have been a little lower, and less empty space above her head.

#2 & #3 frames and poses are o.k., but #2 is underexposed, and #3 looks soft.

#4 Arm position is really odd, facial expression is lacking drama, and you should have put more light on her face rather than on her feet.

agree with just about everyone.
#1 could be much closer and, imo, is a bit flat.
Try local area enhancement

upload_2016-10-17_10-35-29.png

btw, keep in mind some parents will print out photos and put in photo frames, so keep some space around the subject to compensate.

Good set that I bet she will like!
As for C&C, the post above covered it. :)

So much better than the cookie cutter sports picture day photos. They do appear a bit dark on my monitor.

Most reactions

Back