soda fountains, amusement parks, and candy stores

blackdoglab

yeah I'm easy.... but I'm not cheap
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Maybe it's the heat around here or I've just gone nuts (both are quite possible) but I've become nostolgic. I have to preface this because, I'm only 23 and maybe a wee bit young to travel down memory lane. On the fourth, i went out to Elkheart Lake (a small resort town in Sheboygan County) and spent part of the afternoon at a soda fountain. As I sipped my milkshake, my eyes wandered around the place. Old ads for Hershey's, Slo Poke, Horlicks, and Coca Cola. The ceiling was pressed tin painted white and the booths were stained wood. The fountain itself was from the 40's. I could live in that world.

Most folks from Wisconsin have been to Bay Beach, a little amusement park in Green Bay. There's no roller coaster, no talking rodents, and the cotton candy flows like honey. There's an old dance hall, a train, ferris wheel, scrambler, scat, giant slide, tilt a whirl, merry go round, and even a kiddie section. It's free to come in and walk around, have a picnic, and generally enjoy your day. Of course the rides require tickets..... at $0.20 each ticket, I'll ride until the sky has grown dark and fascinating. I've come here at least once every summer since I was just a wee boy. Recently I began doing a little bit of research on the place and found that it began operating in around 1902. I could spend my lifetime enjoying the Lake Michigan breezes amid the haze of cotton candy and sno cones.

Finally, I went back to Elkheart Lake yesterday. I found two final places that could easily become my life. I found a candy store and rediscovered the dreamscicle sunshine of childhood. What can I say? They had fizzy frozen lemonade, clove gum, slo pokes, big league chew, chocolate covered Oreos, Cedar Crest ice cream, and carmel corn. As I walked around town, I found a resort. Now, Elkheart Lake is full of em', but this place was special. It's been there since a wee bit before the turn of the century. Had I the money, I might be napping there now.

Since I can't live, eat, or sleep my life away in these lands of memory, I might as well photograph the hell out of em'

Well, before the end of the month I want to go to Bay Beach. I havn't been there in 2 years. As for the soda fountain, I got some of the outside (the owner requested no shots inside). But I've got some great shots of ads on barns and buildings, as well as a few vintage window ads.

Most reactions

Back