Don Kondra

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
donkondra.weebly.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Greetings,

I wonder if anyone has purchased the 24" x 36" softbox from Cowboy Studios and how it compares to the Alien Bee boxes?

The Cowboy Studio boxes do have a clunky one size fits all mounting plate but they are ~$35 compared to the AB's at ~ $100.

I should mention the clunky one size fits all mounting plate won't work on the Alien Bee without removing metal to allow for the speed ring spring clip handles and the umbrella securing knob :)

Long story, short.

I turned a mounting bracket to use a Cowboy Studio light box on the Alien Bee strobe.

Ringonstrobe.jpg

A comparison shot of mounting brackets.

Completedring.jpg

New bracket installed...

Installed.jpg

Mechanically the conversion works just fine but I wonder if the diffusion material used in the Alien Bees soft box is of a better quality?

Cheers, Don

Can't answer your aomparison question, just thought I would say nice job on the adapter plate!

A shot of primer and black paint and you will hardly be able to tell it is MDF.

Cheers

Can't answer your aomparison question, just thought I would say nice job on the adapter plate!

A shot of primer and black paint and you will hardly be able to tell it is MDF.

Cheers

Thanks for the comment,

Judging by the number of views without comments I fear I must have crossed over the line into anal who gives a shyt land :lmao:

I can tell you I purchased rip stop nylon from a fabric store for my continuous light system, they only had the one weight and it was a slightly higher thread count. I'd guess it cut the light output down by ~25%, softer light yes but a concern if your bulbs wattage are not up to it.

In my dirty little mind I am going to conclude the minor difference in assumed thread count of the diffusion material between softbox systems is not an issue.

Cheers, Don

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back