soft box help

CouncilmanDoug

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to step up my off camera flash game a little bit, and get a soft box. For outdoor portraits would I be fine with a small photoflex litedome? And does the kind of speed ring matter or will any one work for vivitar 285hv?
Basically could any of you tell what i need for a starter softbox kit?

I'm not sure what a "photo flex litedome" is.

Last edited:
Well, "speed rings" normally mount directly to a specific brand of studio flash unit. Then, the four steel or fiberglass rods are inserted into the slots on the softbox, and the rods are inserted into the holes in the speedring. So...a speedring that's designated as "Speedotron" will have a 2-lug system designed speicifcally for a Speedotron Universal refelvtor mount; one desingated elinchrom will use the Elinchrom mount; one for Bowens will use a 3-lugh system for Bowens mount flash units.

Softboxes designed for SPEEDLIGHT use also need a second piece of equipment, something to hold the FLASH in position. And some way to mount the speedring to the toip of "some type" of system that will allow the speedring to be mounted to a lightstand.

Here's a video of the small Photoflex LiteDome

Here is the "official" Litedome speedlight connector mounting device: Photoflex Adjustable Shoe Mount Connector for Small to AC-B222SM

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, that's what it is. I see that I should have googled that instead of "whatever". Thanks, Derrel, that looks really good.

I have a westcott 16x22. Im really happy with the quality. I the rings can get a little confusing depending on how you want to mount it. Do some research and find out how you want to mount it. Ebay sells some budget flash holders that will work for a soft box speed ring you have the correct speed ring. I was lucky and bought everything for $30 from a ritz camera store going out of business

I have a westcott 16x22. Im really happy with the quality. I the rings can get a little confusing depending on how you want to mount it. Do some research and find out how you want to mount it. Ebay sells some budget flash holders that will work for a soft box speed ring you have the correct speed ring. I was lucky and bought everything for $30 from a ritz camera store going out of business

yeah i just want something cheap that'll work for now

The Wescott Medium Apollo soft box is one of the best investments I've ever made. The Lastolite EZ Box is also popular among pros. I'm sure there are other makers. Soft boxes cut at least 1 stop of light from the flash so you're looking at increasing power, increasing ISO, decreasing subject-to-flash distance or decreasing aperture to compensate when using manual flash. The Apollo is an umbrella mount so it requires no speed ring, just an umbrella mount on a light stand. I don't know exactly how the EZ Box mounts but I don't think it's a speed ring or umbrella mount.

The Wescott Medium Apollo soft box is one of the best investments I've ever made. The Lastolite EZ Box is also popular among pros. I'm sure there are other makers. Soft boxes cut at least 1 stop of light from the flash so you're looking at increasing power, increasing ISO, decreasing subject-to-flash distance or decreasing aperture to compensate when using manual flash. The Apollo is an umbrella mount so it requires no speed ring, just an umbrella mount on a light stand. I don't know exactly how the EZ Box mounts but I don't think it's a speed ring or umbrella mount.

What about the allegation that the Westcott softbox cannot be tilted downward more than a few degrees, due to the way the light stand runs up and INSIDE the box? Full tilt: Phottix Multi Boom solves common umbrella softbox flaw | Lighting Rumours

It seems to me that a 40 inch umbrella box is going to provide a bigger surface area, softer light, and MUCH easier angling/positioning, for about half the cost?

should I be considering an umbrella instead?

For using hot shoe flash units I prefer what is known as a brolly, which is sort of like melding an umbrella and softbox.
Photek OP54 46" Hot Shoe Diffuser, Shoe Mount Adapter & Velcro

The bigger the light modifier, the softer and more flattering the light.
Apparent light size (light modifier size) also affects shadow edge diffusion.
Small apparent light sources deliver sharp shadow edges.
Large apparent light sources deliver diffuse shadow edges the 'wrap' around the subject.

So for portraits you need a variety of light modifier types and sizes.
Also, when shooting outside many hot show flash units come up a bit short on power, particularly when their light is diffused in a softbox or brolly.
I used radio triggers that could mount 2 flash units so I could double the amount of light in each modifier.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

One big difference to note...

On the Westcott Apollo softbox, the flash is literally mounted INSIDE the softbox.
On the Lastolite EZ Box softbox, the flash is mounted OUTSIDE facing in.

If you use radios or wires, to trigger the flash then a softbox that mounts a flash inside is fine (unless you have to open the box to change settings -- which can slow you down). A box that mounts the flash outside means it can have line of sight for optical triggers and you can access the controls to adjust settings without opening the box.

Most reactions

Back