Soft Film

Jeff Canes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I’m looking for a good soft color film. The last few years I have been using AGFA Portrait-160. The owner of the lab I was using told me about it and subjected pulling it to 100 or 125 if I wanted it even softer. I found some 120 rolls at Unique Photo, but I would like some 35mm. Any subjects on a replacement?

The only ones I know of are Kodak Portra 160NC or 400NC and Fuji Colour Pro 160S or 400H.

A lot will depend on the lab that develops and prints though...

The only ones I know of are Kodak Portra 160NC or 400NC and Fuji Colour Pro 160S or 400H.

A lot will depend on the lab that develops and prints though...

Wow, when did Fuji do that? I'm still stuck in the era of NPS, NPC etc. Time to get caught up...

Dave

Wow, when did Fuji do that? I'm still stuck in the era of NPS, NPC etc. Time to get caught up...

Dave

I think they changed the films a few months ago, some places till have the old NPS, NPC versions, although because I don't actually use them I'm not sure if the emulsions have actually changed or whether it's just a re-vamp of the old boxes and names...

Fuji makes 2 versions of its 160 portrait film, 160C and 160S. The S gives increased saturation, and the C gives increased contrast. I've shot about 15 rolls of 160C and printed RA-4 with great results. I don't know if I'd call it a "soft" film though.

Thanks All, I’m going to give the Fuji 160C and Kodak 160NC a try. The reason I was think about the Agfa is because I felt it gave an older style color and softness without any special work. I was hoping get some shots of that style this summer of the Canadian Rocky.

These or some samples of Agfa and style I want.

i like too the Fuji 160C, it makes a special style

Unless it has to be negative film, you might also give Fuji Astia a try. It has very natural tones.

Most reactions

Back