Soft Focus?

TCD photography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've noticed that the focus is very soft on the majority of my cloud shots - an aperture problem? Seems fine for evening shots of sunsets with similar aperture settings, but horribly soft during the day. I admit I probably should have experimented a little more with different settings before posting, but I wanted someone else's opinion on the problem.

Here's a couple examples:

2m2c8p0.jpg

Mode:
Program AE
Shutter:1/1000
Aperture:f/5.0
ISO:80

21lll03.jpg

Mode:Manual
Shutter:1/1000
Aperture:f/4.5
ISO:80

Circular polarizers are usually the trick for getting definition in clouds... the light comes from too many directions during mid day for the features to stand out.

Clouds by their nature don't have edges, so they can never be sharply focused.

Thanks for your input! My previous P&S seemed to focus fine on clouds, must be the Schneider-Kreuznach glass.

With P&S, everything is always in focus ;) Do you shoot raw? Jpeg?

try getting another picture for an example.... kinda hard to tell the edges on clouds....

With this sort of subject, there may not be sufficient image contrast or enough definite lines for the autofocus to work well. Try manual focus.

Auto Focus works on contrast. The more contrast, the better the system can function, thus, the more accurate it will be. In a scene just composed of light sky and clouds, there is not much contrast so the AF system has very little to work with.

Either try manual focus, or find a section of the clouds where a white cloud butts up with a darker sky and try to focus there. You might have better luck.
Also, close up your aperture.

Most reactions

Back