Soft Images

ISO 800 is your problem, well that and the lens, and the camera.
Probably some handling also, are you zoomed to the max in these photos?
do your lens have any image stablization?
The photos are not really decent anyways, the background with cars, and random people, egggggh?
Ignore the actual subject i was just picking out random ones that are soft - okay to prove you you guys the ISO 800 isnt the issue (I only put it up to see if would have an effect on the sharpness but it didnt) Ill put some up at ISO 400 or 200 which is what i normally shoot on.
Yeah the a200 has a in built stabalisation thing thats always ON.
The zoom varies and i dont think its effecting the softness?
Ill post some more...:er:

If your shooting above 1/250 turn image stability off it will focus faster are you using continuous focus

ISO 800 is your problem, well that and the lens, and the camera.
Probably some handling also, are you zoomed to the max in these photos?
do your lens have any image stablization?
The photos are not really decent anyways, the background with cars, and random people, egggggh?
Ignore the actual subject i was just picking out random ones that are soft - okay to prove you you guys the ISO 800 isnt the issue (I only put it up to see if would have an effect on the sharpness but it didnt) Ill put some up at ISO 400 or 200 which is what i normally shoot on.

If your shooting above 1/250 turn image stability off it will focus faster are you using continuous focus
ooh thats interesting about the stabalisation thing - Definatly going to try that
I was using the continuous focus but it was having an effect on the soft issue so i was chopping and changing seeing if could notice a difference, but not that i could tell - Didnt do much

ooh thats interesting about the stabalisation thing - Definatly going to try that
I was using the continuous focus but it was having an effect on the soft issue so i was chopping and changing seeing if could notice a difference, but not that i could tell - Didnt do much

What focus point are you using, center one works best on Canon not sure on Sony never used one

Lighting situations most likely...were the ones that come out better taken at midday or with the sun slightly behind you?
Well at an event I ghenrally start shooting at about 9am and finsh around 3pm always having the sun behind me where possible, and i dont *think* its made much difference... High sun photo tend to come out a bit crap, but not soft, just in genral cause its a bad time to shoot

What focus point are you using, center one works best on Canon not sure on Sony never used one
Hmm actually thats somthing i forgot about, I was advised by my boss when i went on a shoot with him the the central focusing point was best but as this was just a show jumping show - I found it kept throwing the focus off at the last second so i switched it back to the other one... whatever it is there "wide" and the other one... BUT i havent tried thecentral focusing on flatwork photos... could be somthing to try, thanks for that :)

Lighting situations most likely...were the ones that come out better taken at midday or with the sun slightly behind you?
Well at an event I ghenrally start shooting at about 9am and finsh around 3pm always having the sun behind me where possible, and i dont *think* its made much difference... High sun photo tend to come out a bit crap, but not soft, just in genral cause its a bad time to shoot

Better focusing camera needed

Do you have the correct AF point selected or AF mode? Its hard to tell with such small pics....You could have the wrong portion of the photo in focus, but do to the focal length and subject distance, your DOF may be pretty small...

Also, are you shooting RAW or JPEG? Your camera probably has built in noise reduction on JPEGS and if you are at ISO 800, the auto noise reduction could be muddling your sharpness....

Do you have the correct AF point selected or AF mode? Its hard to tell with such small pics....You could have the wrong portion of the photo in focus, but do to the focal length and subject distance, your DOF may be pretty small...

Also, are you shooting RAW or JPEG? Your camera probably has built in noise reduction on JPEGS and if you are at ISO 800, the auto noise reduction could be muddling your sharpness....

I cant rememver what the AF point is set at atm...
im shooting in JPEG - Yeah maybe your right about the sharpness thiing... im going out this weekend taking photos (Dressage so will be a real test :confused: ) finger crossed tey come out good but ill have a play around with some setting maybe :D

Most reactions

Back