Softball, Dancing, Lighting and Printing

if you think you can do it, buy the gear you need, it should pay itself off with the work your doing. this could be your calling card.

I would hope it's my calling card, or just he is a desparate guy with last minute plans!

If you are considering opening a studio, then its a matter of when, not if, you invest in lighting equipment. If you are planning on doing this long term, think of what you will spend renting equipment over and over again as opposed to buying your own gear you can invest in and trust to work.

You've called this softball guy how many times and not heard back? And now he's desperate? Hint: he's either too busy to work with you or he's going to be problematic to deal with in the future because he obviously is ill-prepared and flyby.

Honestly, I would pick one and focus on that to make sure you are giving your best. I vote for the dance, as you said you are a dancer. Most likely the people you will be shooting will be familiar with you, comfortable with you, and being a dancer, you will recognize a flattering/unflattering pose and recommend different positions for them to stand in for variety.

I do know the dance stuff. I still don't have the equipment but the dance won't be until next year. I will have plenty of time to invest in the right equipment that I can use in the future in a studio. I don't know what his deal is. I really don't. I'd love to make the money that would come with this but it is REALLY not worth the trouble.

Given the lack of response on the part of the party involved for the better part of three weeks, and now this last minute, headlong rush to get *you* to shoot this gig, I'd say the red flags are going up right and left. Why do you suppose this guy can't seem to get anybody else to shoot this gig? This shoot has what is known as PITA potential. This thing sounds like a major PITA. I'm not saying don't shoot it, but you know, this entire enterprise,and the fellow ostensibly "running it" have me feeling some potential disappointment vibes on your behalf.

Of course, it's always good to gain some experience, and the entire deal might be fun for you, but the way this thing has gone has me thinking "PITA". YMMV.

It's definitly something I don't like. He is in the middle of a VERY large city (Charlotte) and could easily find another person to shoot this. Don't most photographers charge a premium or something for such late notice. Like with a wedding, someone coming to a photographer a week before the shoot and they have to pay a convenience fee? Not exactly sure what to call it.

I think it would be a wonderful experience, but I am more concerned about getting everything together, not being able to get it all together, and the shoot not going as planned. Then I have to deal with customer service - of which I have no problem with, but why the hassle. It took me a while to figure out what PITA meant, but that's exactly what it's going to be.

Thanks all you guys for the information and insight

~Michael~

Update guys:

Still haven't heard from the softball guy. I'm going to cut my losses and just forget about him. I have left him 1 more message and am not going to deal with it again.

As for the dance photography, I have been able to talk some with the owner. Sometime after Christmas, we are going to get together for a while and talk things through. She was able to find a price sheet from the other photographer with his different packages.

Also, she mentioned that many of the parents mentioned something about being able to view the images. To me, this is a double sided sword. On one hand, they might see it and not be happy with the image, asking me to take it again, which I probably wouldn't do because the kids (the younger ones) aren't smiling or just for whatever reason they come up with. On the other hand, well I can only see that they will either like or not like the image and that will be time consuming. The dance studio owner suggested maybe setting up a time the following week (the actual picture portion will be a week process) and have set appointments. I think this actually might work, but it's still in the works. The competition parents know the type or work I do, so I wouldn't' expect them to ask for an appointment. I think a viewing on the LCD might do - if that. I will have more appointments for viewing - if I even do it - from the parents I do not know and don't really even know me. For compeition photos, I sell them at $4/img burned to CD with a photo release. I have felt for the past 2 years I am undercutting myself and will probably raise that per image price. Anyways, coinciding with the posed shot, I though of buying a large LCD tv and keep it in the studio. When a competition parent wanted to view pictures from a recent competition, I can hook my laptop to the TV and viewing would be MUCH better. I would also use this TV once it came time for parents to view the posed pictures.

Another thing, I would like to offer different products. I will have compeittive prices if not the same as what the previous photographer offered. I also want to do things like magnets and keychains and pins (the big round ones with the picture in the center). I will be printing from mpix and will probably do their Pro account. The only things I see that people may be interested in are the magnets and keychains. If you think I could sell others, let me know. I told the studio owner I considered putting a sheet in the lobby and have the parents write down what they would like to have offered. Would that work? I figure they would put down the usual like the magnets, but I might have some other off the wall responses. If they demand is there, I will find a way to provide for them.

I can't think of anything else to say.

Thanks everyone for all the help so far! I appreciate it greatly

~Michael~

Suggestion for your cd offer...
Charge a flat rate of $25 for the first image on the cd and $2 or $5 for each additional image...you will make a lot more money that way!

Suggestion for your cd offer...
Charge a flat rate of $25 for the first image on the cd and $2 or $5 for each additional image...you will make a lot more money that way!

Hey great! Thanks. I was thinking of something along those lines. I did have a 5 picture minimum so that's kinda like what you were talking about but I like just a flat rate of $25. If you get 3 pictures, it would be $35.

Thanks for your input!

~Michael~

3 pictures for $35? Did I read that right? That seems expensive....like, really expensive.

Really?

Wow. I don't do anything for $35.

I'll scan an old photo and make a 5x7 for that, or shoot a passport session for $20. But really... I'm not shooting anything for just $35, much less deliver printable files.

-Pete

3 pictures for $35? Did I read that right? That seems expensive....like, really expensive.

Yes. I have some buying $115 of pictures. That's like 25 pictures.

They are paying for

-My equipment
-My knowledge
-My time
-COPYRIGHT RELEASE (they can do whatever they want once they have the CD and I have a release in the form of a JPEG that says as such)

I actually though I was cheap...

~Michael~

Not expensive at all...for $35, they can go have a canvas printed @ Costco or Walgreens with the image you have provided.

If you look at it this way, you will loose money on the deal. I can easily sell an 8x10 canvas print for $150.00...but if I sell my client the image on cd...there goes the canvas sale down the drain.

Not expensive at all...for $35, they can go have a canvas printed @ Costco or Walgreens with the image you have provided.

If you look at it this way, you will loose money on the deal. I can easily sell an 8x10 canvas print for $150.00...but if I sell my client the image on cd...there goes the canvas sale down the drain.

Yeah, it's not just about selling "just a picture"

~Michael~

Alright, I'm back.

I have been able to find some money just laying around as well as my money tree is back in full swing, kinda.

I am set on buying AlienBee AB800 lights. Currently, my shopping cart has $1,142.26 (GULP!!) of lighting stuff in there and I haven't even bought backgrounds, background stands of any kind!

B800 Black Studio Flash: I was told this would be enough power. 1600 would bee too much and 400, probably not enough for my large groups.
13-foot Heavy Duty Stand: Would 10 ft do? I'm not sure.
48-inch Shoot-Thru Umbrella: not sure what type of umbrella. There are silver, translucent white, white/silver reversable, but I'm not sure which ones to get.

I have NO clue what backgrounds I'm going to get and where I"m going to get the from either. If you suggest a place, please tell me. I was prepared at $1,000, but I"m going to be at $1,500 by the time I have EVERYTHING I THINK I might need.

Please, if you have any other suggestions, please tell me. I will be buying lights either this week or next but don't know if the Bees will be best for the money

~Michael~

Have you done the shoot yet? How did it go? What did you buy?

I haven't done the shoot yet. So far, I have bought 2 Alien Bee 800 lights with 13 ft light stands, and 2 60" gold/silver reflective umbrellas.

I still need to get 2 more of the same lighting set-up as well as 3 10'x20' muslin backgrounds for my large group shots and a 10ft, maybe larger, roll of seamless paper for individual shots.

The shoot will be May 10-14. I need to get all my stuff together!

~Michael~

Most reactions

Back