Softball photos

Discussion in 'Photojournalism & Sports Gallery' started by SquarePeg, Apr 15, 2019.

1. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Been there many times.
    Last year was bad, this year was worse.

I keep telling the kids, shoot the first game that you can, you don't know if the later games will get rained out.
    But being kids, they don't listen, miss the sunny game, then cancellation after cancellation, and deadline is approaching.

I am amazed at how well the baseball and softball fields are constructed, to drain in a day or two after a big rain. The outfield might be a bit soggy, but there is no standing water in the field. Outside the foul line, different story, standing water and MUD.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SquarePeg

SquarePeg hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    We have an ump shortage here. In fact my daughter and several of her friends signed up to ump rec league games for the younger divisions. $48 per game for roughly 2 hours work. Easy money. I might have to ump a few games myself...

3. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Watch out for the uniforms, hidden cost.
    • One soccer ref told me that they had to change uniforms this year, by someone's decision in the league. They needed to get a new set of 4 different color shirts, $$$. WHY? He did not understand why they could not just leave their uniforms alone, instead of making them spend $$$ on new uniforms that the league was not going to pay for.
    • Baseball/softball refs wear different color shirts for JV and Varsity games. I don't know why nor how many different colors they use.
    • At least the black and white shirts seem to have stayed the same.
    The half crouching position of the home plate umpire can be hard on the legs.

4. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    The only standard for the “jr” umpires is a $30 dry fit shirt and a face mask and chest protector. They don’t have to buy the full uni.

5. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Looks like the ball fields where you go are close to the street; in my area the ones I've been to are off the street and a ways from the parking lot (which maybe was a help for me back in the day with finding good vantage points and having decent backgrounds).

Try taking a step or two to adjust the vantage point when you can to frame differently and keep visual distractions out of the frame as much as possible. In tight places you can only do so much and I've sometimes leaned, scrunched down, etc. and you do the best you can with what you have to work with.

There was one of the batter and catcher that was really a nice photo of the players; I'd suggest being aware of framing to prevent having something like the knee of another spectator (I think) in the lower left corner. Watch the catcher being barely in the frame. I'd watch the backgrounds too especially with vertical shots that there isn't so much sky and trees in the photo since that's not part of the game/action. The cars being so close aren't that noticable if they're neutral but the tail lights are noticeable and I'd try to frame to keep those out of the picture. Spectators right up against the fence end up basically being part of the picture since they're close to the subjects, so keep them in mind when framing so heads are in the frame and people don't have a post directly in front of them, etc.

You seem to have good timing in getting the action and are getting nice sharp images of the players. I found it took a lot of practice to get good at shooting sports. I'd often go early to my nephews' games years ago and watch the end of games with other teams playing. I didn't necessarily take pictures but would just practice watching thru the viewfinder to think about framing,etc. If I'd go early I could look for good (or halfway decent) vantage points and try to figure out where to shoot that I'd get decent backgrounds. I learned about shooting hockey going to practices, training camps, etc. When I took a sports photography workshop at the NCAA headquarters in Indy I learned how important preparation can be, and how much it can help to go early, watch and notice.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit

Thanks for the detailed tips. Nothing I can do about the field with the cars. It’s right in a neighborhood and parking is on the street only and cars are visible from most angles. One of the vertical photos where I left in the sky was on purpose to leave the top of the fence diamond in the frame.