Softbox and Alien Bees

I saw this in the description:
"This Item only for HS,PS Series Flash Light"

I'm assuming that's essential info right there. I have never used alienbees, but do any of them have the designation HS or PS?

Doubtful ... I think that has the three lug speedring. Picture is hard to make out .. pretty sure the Britek brand uses those.

Cool so Britek may carry some softboxes that fit my alien bee...thanks...Im searching lol

Cool so Britek may carry some softboxes that fit my alien bee...thanks...Im searching lol
Whoops ... misunderstanding. Britek uses the three lug push, twist, lock, thumb screw to keep from turning style speed rings. The ABs use the spring loaded four hook to lip system. It is my understanding that this latter system is pretty much a standard, so searching places like Adorama or B&H (or AB themselves - good stuff) might be a better option.

The key to attaching a softbox to a studio strobe...is the 'Speed Ring'. Your speed ring has to be compatible.

why not just buy an alien bee softbox? the 'giant' (48x60?) foldable is less than 200 dollars.

B/C the one on ebay costs like 80 shipped...Money is a lil tight but I'll see what magic I can do

B/C the one on ebay costs like 80 shipped...Money is a lil tight but I'll see what magic I can do
Well if you bought it anyway, the AB clamp will hold the smooth (not lipped) surface ... but don't tip it forwards as it will slide right off. Had one here at the shop and tried drilling out the collar to fit the AB. Apparently the three lug portion is glued on to the main ring so that fell off the first time the drill bit bound up. Got three of the four holes drilled, the fourth broke out. It does hold, even tipped at a 45 degree angle .... but don't know if I'd want the liability if it fell on someone.

For archival purposes (and for anyone else that knows better please correct me) the ABs use an industry standard "Chrimera" style speedring.

Jim you know your stuff....Guess I'll bite the bullet and save up for a AB softbox....

Im bouncing off an umbrella at the moment...I prefer the softer light though...

Jim you know your stuff....Guess I'll bite the bullet and save up for a AB softbox....

Im bouncing off an umbrella at the moment...I prefer the softer light though...
You can soften up that umbrella by moving it back more (but make sure you have enough light left to reach the subject of course). That might help in the interim. The AB standard 4' ocotobox is 129.99 or 49 more than the eBay one in your link. If you can put together the scratch I am sure you will be much happier in the long run.

You can soften up that umbrella by moving it back more
:scratch:

The 'softness' of light is a result of the size of the light source in relation to the subject. The farther away the light is, the smaller it becomes (to the subject) and therefore, the harder it gets, not softer.

That being said, an umbrella spills light all over the place, and if it's bouncing off of walls and the ceiling...then you might indeed get a softer look.

You can still have a super hard light source if your light source is large in my experience moving the light source away helps soften it as it allows more light to fall of and spread out kinda like when you point a laser 2 feet in front of you its sharp and small but at a wall a couple hundred feet away the edges are softer and its not as bright.

Most reactions

Back