SOFTBOX LIGHTS VS. WHICH ONE SHOULD I BUY?

ganafbbyx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well I'm looking online through EBay and find Two great deals for lighting. But one cost more then the other and I was wondering why so. Can someone tell me the difference between

$image-1203488586.jpg

This one cost 165$
And

$image-3472851756.jpg

This deal cost about 185.

Are these products different? Is the higher price one worth paying for then the other one.
Let me know please:).
Thank u.

I simply mean "buyer beware" =)

ganafbbyx said:
What do u mean by that? Lol

Means that it is JUNK.

What are you going to be using lighting for? I would invest into some speed lites over that. You can get 2 speed lites, flash adapters, stands, umbrellas and triggers for about 200. A lot better route than these things.

What are you trying to light up with these? If it's still live they'll be OK. If it's people it's a complete waste of $. You'll still need a pretty astronomical ISO and slow shutter.

neither of these are great deals, like everybody else has said. Even if you're shooting static subjects (ie things that don't move) they're overpriced crap.

ChrisedwardsHT said:
Means that it is JUNK.

What are you going to be using lighting for? I would invest into some speed lites over that. You can get 2 speed lites, flash adapters, stands, umbrellas and triggers for about 200. A lot better route than these things.

Oh really. Where can I find all that? Any sites?

fjrabon said:
neither of these are great deals, like everybody else has said. Even if you're shooting static subjects (ie things that don't move) they're overpriced crap.

Okay thank ya so much! I actually thought it was cheap

What are you trying to light up with these? If it's still live they'll be OK. If it's people it's a complete waste of $. You'll still need a pretty astronomical ISO and slow shutter.
Tell us more so we can help you better

MLeeK said:
Tell us more so we can help you better

People: Kids. Newborns. Family portraits.
white room . White walls.
Camera: Canon t3. Lens: kit. 50mm1.8. 70-300mm

For a one light setup: One of these with a reflector Flashpoint II FP320SB2 Monolight Kit, 150 Watt Second FP320SB2

Two light setup one of those above with one of these Flashpoint II FP320SB1 Monolight Kit, 150 Watt Second FP320SB1

To blow the white out to pure white you'll need a lot more power than that, but to get good, well lit portraits those will serve you very well.

If you choose to go with speedlites be sure you are getting a high GN. Speedlites put out a LOT less flash than strobes do. I am a speedlite shooter, but I often am using 4 heads in one softbox to equal enough power whereas my strobes I'd have used only one unit.

Last edited:
ganafbbyx said:
Oh really. Where can I find all that? Any sites?

You can get yongnuo flashes from 40-80 on amazon.
Light stands(30-60), adapters(15-30), umbrellas(5-30) at your local camera store or B&H.
Set of triggers (cowboy studio) as cheap as 35 or 40.

I would recommend getting one flash, one stand and adapter with two umbrellas.
Also a reflector.

You don't want to jump into everything right away and get overwhelmed and confused.

There's an easy way to tell junk from quality when shopping for photo gear. If the ad says, "Pro", "professional", or any variant thereof, it's alost certainly junk. Professional gear doesn't need to label itself!

Most reactions

Back