Software for Product Photos

Eugenius91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone, I am new here. I tried looking around for similar questions but did not succeed.

We are soon going to set up a webshop together with my friend for jewelry. One of the things how my friend wants to work is with her own photographs of products. So we will buy a small product studio box thingy.

We'd love to get a good set up to get us started for the first few months. Now I was wondering if there were any good tools out there that make product photography easy.

What I'd like it to do:
- project picture instantly on computer/laptop screen next to the camera
- adjust the brigthness and contrast of the pictures
- be able to crop all the images to say 600x600 or 900x900 pixels and allow us to reposition the center (like photoshop, but swifter)
- allow us to choose between multiple photos and discard the rest after the pictures are taken

I know this is a lot to ask at once but I'm sure there are a lot product photographers out there who can share their setup with us! :)

Maybe it's not unimportant to mention, but we will not be using any high-end tech camera's, we were even considering just using our smartphones for product photography. I know we're amateurs, but we've got to start somewhere. :)

What you want to do is shoot 'tethered'.

The Complete Picture with Julieanne Kost - Tethered Capture with Lightroom 5 on Adobe TV

I think that your work flow might be wrong in the long run. You want to get everything correct in one camera shot and delete all the other pictures and most of the resolution.

It is a good idea to get as good an image in the camera as possible but the minute adjustments become time-consuming and tedious. IMO, a much better workflow would be to capture the image as quickly (in several versions) and as well as you can and then cull and crop in the computer, making any tiny edits to correct small defects on a high res mage just not seeable in real life , then export at the desired size for use. It is amazing how many tiny errors that are invisible when you are shooting show up later when you see the image full size.

Immediately reducing to size means that you've boxed yourself in a corner with no good size image to edit now and use in the future.

Last edited:
If you have Lightroom you can work tethered with that although you have to set the camera controls yourself and Lightroom will capture the shots as taken and store them in whatever location you specify. You can fire the camera from the PC just not change settings.
A tax deductible business expense of 10 bucks a month will get you Photoshop and Lightroom.
For more control you'd need a program like ControlMyNikon. Which will do everything from the PC.

Hello everyone, I am new here. I tried looking around for similar questions but did not succeed.

We are soon going to set up a webshop together with my friend for jewelry. One of the things how my friend wants to work is with her own photographs of products. So we will buy a small product studio box thingy.

We'd love to get a good set up to get us started for the first few months. Now I was wondering if there were any good tools out there that make product photography easy.

What I'd like it to do:
- project picture instantly on computer/laptop screen next to the camera
- adjust the brigthness and contrast of the pictures
- be able to crop all the images to say 600x600 or 900x900 pixels and allow us to reposition the center (like photoshop, but swifter)
- allow us to choose between multiple photos and discard the rest after the pictures are taken

I know this is a lot to ask at once but I'm sure there are a lot product photographers out there who can share their setup with us! :)

Maybe it's not unimportant to mention, but we will not be using any high-end tech camera's, we were even considering just using our smartphones for product photography. I know we're amateurs, but we've got to start somewhere. :)
Here, I did the search for you and got at least 19 pages of threads on "jewelry". Should give you plenty to read.

Search Results for Query: jewelry | Photography Forum

Besides that, I will tell you that shooting with a tethered cellphone is not the optimum way to do this.

Start with a good digital single-lens reflex (DSLR) camera.
Get a decent macro lens.
Get some lights (i.e.; electronic flash).
Learn how to focus and expose and obtain the correct white balance.
Transfer your photos to a computer with a calibrated display. (Laptops are not the best displays)
Do very little minor editing on the large size photos.
If you have to make them smaller for website posting, downsize as you export.

You're welcome.

(edit) Notice I didn't list the light box. I don't think you need it, but if you do, they're not terribly expensive. I made my own.

Also, downsizing is not cropping, but I know what you meant.

As was said earlier Lightroom is the most popular. But if you shoot Canon you can download their Utility (tethers your camera etc with full controls), their RAW Digital Pro Editor (really quite nice and very LR-like). I do not recommend using their Zoom Browser (Bridge clone) it really is not good. Go to the CanonUSA site, product support-> your camera->downloads-EOS Utilities or something along those lines. g'Luk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back