Solarized

Christie Photo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.christiephoto.com
In my attempt to break away from my old style of senior portraits, I've come up with this. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks!
Pete

solarized.jpg

what's going on with the background colours here? there's also a lot of glare on your subjects glasses.. i can't tell if his eyes or open or closed.

Hmm, interesting Pete. Ya, it is definitely different from the traditional senior portrait. The color is unique, but not sure how much I like that certain style. I tend to like a lot of color. I personally like the urban feel very much. And I do like how relaxed and friendly he looks in the pose. One thing that stands out though is that his eyes are kind of hard to see behind the glasses because of the reflection.

But overall, you have my vote for great job!

NJ

what's going on with the background colours here?

It's called solarization (see title). I did it in an effort to find something marketable to HS seniors.

there's also a lot of glare on your subjects glasses.. i can't tell if his eyes or open or closed.

Yeah.... good call. This is an invitational sitting. Like I said... I'm exploring new territory. I didn't bother with the glasses.

Thanks for your input!

Pete

I like your old style of portraits...but then again...I'm not in high school. :er:

I'm not really feeling this...it's not really bad but it's not giving me any positive vibes. It could be the subject...as mentioned, the glare is bothersome as we can't see his eyes and get a connection. I'd like to see this effect with a stronger portrait before really passing it off.

Hmm, interesting Pete. Ya, it is definitely different from the traditional senior portrait. The color is unique, but not sure how much I like that certain style.

And that's right about where I am too. I want to come up with something different, but I want more that it be GOOD too. Geezzzz..... it seems the older I get, the less sure I am.

Thanks!

it seems the older I get, the less sure I am.
I'm not calling you old, Pete...but this reminds me (as so much of life does) of a quote from The Simpsons...

Homer: "You wouldn't understand cause your not with it".

Grampa: "I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you."

And that's right about where I am too. I want to come up with something different, but I want more that it be GOOD too. Geezzzz..... it seems the older I get, the less sure I am.

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with exploring new territory. :) Keeping this style open as an option for someone who might like it could be a smart move. It might pay off to market this style, and show seniors that you aren't just about traditional portraits only. Heck, there are all kinds of styles and poses these days.

Maybe you could poll a small panel of seniors and see what they think of this style? It's all about what the customer likes, isnt it? ;-)

I like it for the background but I see it on his foot and his neck.. So you think it would be cooler if you only had it in the background but made sure it wasnt on his body? maybe.
And aside form that - that guy's only in high school! sheesh I would never guess, that's nothing to do with you or the photo, just a random thought I thought I'd ramble. LOL ;)

Oh yeah and do you think it might so it justice to be cropped a teeny bit tighter? Like on the left where his hand is on the ground a bit of that gone? Idont know, more random thoughts. :)

I think he's a year or two out of high school. He was just a willing model.
So your gut instinct is still good!

LOL I see! Well, willing models are always a good thing - I need to find some!

Personally I don't care for the treatment. If anything, I would think kids would want a more dreamy feel, very saturated...look like stars in a magazine.

But really, what the hell do I know? (as my wife would say to that...not much) LOL

Most reactions

Back