Soligor 28-80mm question

Kilian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey,

I am new at this forum and in general to film photography. I just bought my first SLR Nikon FE2 with a soligor 28-80mm lens. Cheap glass but the price was low and I am a student :)

Now I am a bit confused about the scales of the soligor regarding depth of field etc. I am used to that every aperture stop has its little lines indicating the range of depth of field. Some fancy lenses even with different colors.

This soligor lens is totally different (check out my picture). Does anyone can explain to me ?

Here are my thoughts:

The red R line indicated my depth of field (only on one side apparently so I need to mirror it in my head apparently).

So looking at my picture my current depth of field would range from 9ft to roughly 15 ft ?

and with 28mm the range of depth would be 5ft to infinity ?

If this is correct - which aperture size does the red R line indicate ? f16 (biggest apperture size this lens has ?)

THANKS A LOT !

this is the lens

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 153
oh yeah aaand if someone can explain to me what the blue and orange dot would mean ? Right now the aperture is on 8. Left to that 8 is a blue dot, right to that 8 is a orange dot. 28mm is orange as well so is 80mm in blue. There must be a link !!

thanks

Welcome to TPF Kilian. Not familiar with that particular lens but this may be helpful. The dots correspond with the colour of the focal lengths scale on the barrel so indicate fstops, the white line for the 35 - 60 mm and the dots for the extremes. The red line is a focus indicator for infrared film as this part of the spectrum refracts differently than visible light. Should you ever shoot IR, focus visually as usual then adjust to the line. As you mentioned a depth of field scale is double, should be one somewhere on the barrel but perhaps not. There are tables on the internet showing DOF at different focal lengths and aperatures. Should be a way to stop down the lens as well to preview DOF through the viewfinder.

Hope others weigh in here who have used this lens. D

Most reactions

Back