Some advice needed please!

Kanikula

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well first of all can i say hi to everyone! I will put a proper indroduction in the appropriate place soon :confused:

I need some advice from some of you wonderful people who have already set up in business or have a higher knowledge of photgraphy law than i :hail:

Im just setting up my business and im a little hazy on a few v. important factors. Im hoping to become freelance, photographing animal events such as dog shows horses shows ect ect. The photos i will be taking will mostly be just of the animals not the owners so what i need to know is this, If i photograph someones dog/cat/horse whatever with/without permission in a public place or studio can i legally sell these images on my website to any tom, dick or harry who likes it?? or will i need a model release form???

Thanks in advance
KK aka Sam x

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know the legalities of shooting & selling shots of pets/animals...but I would think that the organizer of the events would have something to say about it.

My guess would be that you would need permission to shoot at the events...and then you could use the images for "Fair Use"...which is things like newspapers etc. If you wanted to sell the images for profit...I'm thinking that the animal's owner and the event organizer would want to be in on that...and they may have that right.

I'm not a lawyer...so you should probably ask one in your area.

"public place or studio" I think this would make a big difference. If you were truely in a public place you would have someplace to go legally, but not in a studio.

Model releases are needed for photos of people or their property, including pets, depending on the use of the photo. If it's for profit, promotion, etc you need a release. Being on public property or public accessible property may give you the right to take the photo, but not the right to do whatever you want with it. Your best bet is to talk to a local lawyer.

Edit: Just saw you are in the UK, so this may not be even close to your local laws, best to talk to a lawyer.

Thanks for your replies guys V.helpful :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back