Some b/w film shots

Tammy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
geese.jpg

swing_sm.jpg

Nice shots Tammy. The swing brings back great memories of torturing, er... playing with my younger brother in days gone by. :D

Thanks photobug. Sorry to say, the swings not mine - it was next door to an old historic site I stopped by to take photos of, and this was the last shot.

i really like the first one .. love the contrast and composition ... the second one has a lot of character :D .. what iso were u using?

This was my first time using 'Black and White' film - it was Kodak 400 BWC (C41 processing kind) and was actually more brown and white which kinda suprised me.

cool ... so how do ya like b&w film? :D

So far, so good. Well....I hate having to wait to see how things turn out, and to be honest, I'm uncomfortable with paying for shots that don't turn out (I'm just not use to having an expensive hobby.) - and there's more work involved with just scanning a pic than I care for (the scanner is in a different room then where my PC is) - But I like the anticipation of opening the envelope from the package and going through the photos, and I like the final product better then what comes off my printer. I'm also looking forward to the weather turning so there are some more scenic things to take photos of. I'm driving my kids crazy!

Tammy said:
I hate having to wait to see how things turn out

I'm uncomfortable with paying for shots that don't turn out (I'm just not use to having an expensive hobby.)

there's more work involved with just scanning a pic than I care for

I like the final product better than what comes off my printer

Keep practicing with the digital, keep the film camera around for some shots, and you'll have the best of both worlds. Even though I am a complete film geek, I've always encouraged folks to use digital, A LOT!! Practice makes perfect, and it's hard to beat the convenience and affordability of digital. Use the film when you have the time to really think about and work on the shot.

Thanks Matt. Next time I'll remember to ask if they can do B/W paper. And thanks for the advice on shooting - I've been carrying both cameras around with me lately - it's quite fun.

FYI... A good printer (the person, not the machine) can correct the photos to make them look more like true black and whites. It's just an adjustment but some labs don't take the time.

tr0gd0o0r said:
beat the convenience and affordability of digital.

Yeah it used to be convenient, but now i have img1-1000 on my hardrive and i'm starting to wonder
It's still better than the book shelf full of photos my parents have taken. I can carry all my photos on a few CDs as opposed to lugging around countless photo albums.

Tammy, if you don't like the process of scanning your pictures you can always get digital files of your film pictures, but it does cost more. The cost of constantly paying for film was what really turned me off to photography until digital cameras came around. Film is still a nice way to take pictures but digital has definitely answered my needs when it comes to photography. I don't print most of my shots. It's more about the thrill of the hobby which really hurts my wallet if I'm constantly paying for film and development. I'm surprised that your digital camera doesn't have a B&W setting.

As for the pictures, I like your first one best. The lighter constrast really works for that picture. Good job!

Most reactions

Back