Some beginner pictures..

InfamousBabyJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been really hesitant to post these pictures only because I'm still learning alot of about photography and everything else. I took these last weekend since it was the first weekend I had my camera. I would love some C&C, but go easy as I'm still learning the camera and everything else. These were shot with a Sony A300K.

These first 2 pictures are of my dogs. I wasn't trying to aim for anything in these photos since it was one of the first couple days I had the camera and was just testing the camera. So these are kinda just "fun" pictures for myself.

JamiesPics002-2.jpg

JamiesPics003-2.jpg

Now for the next pictures I'll give captions so everybody knows what I was trying for..

This first picture is of just a sign that I wanted to take a picture of. It has no important significance to anything, I just liked how the picture came out and kept it.

JamiesPics019.jpg

This picture is of a walking path. I kinda liked how the path was slightly overgrown but you could still tell what it was.

JamiesPics017-3.jpg

This picture I was trying to get a close up of the berries, but for some reason the camera wouldn't focus with me so close to them, that I had to move back to get sort of a distant shot. Like I said, I'm new to this whole photography thing so if somebody has some pointers as to what I should do to get close up shots of small things, let me know.

JamiesPics005-2.jpg

And last but not least, a picture of a waterfall. I don't have a tripod for the camera yet, so I could only put the shutter speed to a certain speed before the picture came out to blurry. I was trying to get that "effect" that I know alot of people get when taking pictures of waterfalls, but with no tripod, thats kinda hard.

JamiesPics003-3.jpg

So those are my pictures and if anybody has any tips or suggestions on something I should do differently to make things better, please let me know. And be easy :blushing:

I'm not a big fan of dogs, so I can't really say anything.

Footh Path one - I would say go up a couple of stops with the shutter speed and use flash. That's just me. I'm a trial and error kinda guy right now. Trying to observe as much as I can like you. err. I just realized you used flash. I guess my only beef is the sky. It's so white.

Blueberry - Seems out of focus like you said. You'll need a macro lens for close ups. Real macro lens are 1:1 magnification. Make sure it's 1:1. Some lens say it's macro, but they're not true(1:1). There's also 2:1 ones, which multiplies I believe.

Lats one - Yea. You're gonna need a tripod. That picture is either too bright, or too dark. Meaning I'd go darker, or go brighter. The composition is real nice though. Maybe you can go at it again with a tripod?

I'm not a big fan of dogs, so I can't really say anything.

Footh Path one - I would say go up a couple of stops with the shutter speed and use flash. That's just me. I'm a trial and error kinda guy right now. Trying to observe as much as I can like you. err. I just realized you used flash. I guess my only beef is the sky. It's so white.

Blueberry - Seems out of focus like you said. You'll need a macro lens for close ups. Real macro lens are 1:1 magnification. Make sure it's 1:1. Some lens say it's macro, but they're not true(1:1). There's also 2:1 ones, which multiplies I believe.

Lats one - Yea. You're gonna need a tripod. That picture is either too bright, or too dark. Meaning I'd go darker, or go brighter. The composition is real nice though. Maybe you can go at it again with a tripod?

The reason the sky looks extremely white in the path picture is because the sun wasn't out that day. It was actually raining, which was probably not the best day to do trial and error with the camera, but I wasn't going to let rain get in my way haha.

For the blueberry one, I tried the "macro" setting on my camera but still wasn't doing anything. I've tried the setting a couple times now on the camera and nothing will focus. I have to back up a foot or two for the camera to finally focus. I don't know if thats the way the setting is supposed to be, or if I'm doing something wrong.

I am definately going to try to get a tripod soon. It just hasn't been the first one my list since I spent so much getting the actual camera, and bag and all the other accesories. If anybody has any suggestions on a good tripod, let me know because it seems all the ones I look at are all cheap and flimsy.

Don't get a cheap one.

Then again, I recently found out my mom had a cheap/short tripod. It's nice, but I'm still on the looks for a better one. $200 should be enough, apparently.

Umm.. Macro setting doesn't really do anything. You're gonna need a real macro lens. What lens are you using anyways?

Um, I'm just using the one that came with the camera. On the specs it just says DT 18-70mm zoom lens. I don't know if thats right haha. But I was thinking about getting a new lens. I will mostly be shooting pictures of my car since I'm into the whole car scene, family pictures and nature pictures. And of course pictures when I go on vacation and stuff.

I'm guessing a wide angle lens is something that will project a larger image at a closer distance? That's just a guess though, if I'm totally wrong and off let me know haha.

A beanbag is a cheap option for a camera support until you get a tripod. Use the timer to fire the shutter, very steady.

Not as cheap, but a cheaper option for closeup photos might be to get an extension tube set that will let you get much closer to your subject, although those shots usually require a tripod or beanbag too.

I never thought of a beanbag. I'll try that this weekend when I go out if the rain holds up for me.

Alright, well I went out this weekend and even though it was CRAPPY out again, I managed to try to take some nice pictures at least. I would like some C&C on these too if you guys/girls wouldnt mind.

JamiesPics020-1.jpg

JamiesPics021-1.jpg

JamiesPics022.jpg

JamiesPics029.jpg

JamiesPics031.jpg

JamiesPics033.jpg

I would say, in photographs where you have no choice BUT to blow out the sky. . .to just get rid of it by cropping it out. Especially if it adds nothing to you photograph.

Alright, so basically make the sky as little as possible as to not take away from the picture?

Alright, so basically make the sky as little as possible as to not take away from the picture?

Not always. Just in that photo. A clear blue sky could be part of your photo, but in this case your focus is on the lake shore, and the sky is blown out anyway, no detail there, so may as well get rid of it, since it (quite literally) adds nothing to the photo.

I'm just talking about the last shot. In the others, disregarding composition, you exposed pretty nicely. :thumbup:

Not always. Just in that photo. A clear blue sky could be part of your photo, but in this case your focus is on the lake shore, and the sky is blown out anyway, no detail there, so may as well get rid of it, since it (quite literally) adds nothing to the photo.

I'm just talking about the last shot. In the others, disregarding composition, you exposed pretty nicely. :thumbup:

O, alright. I thought you meant one of the first photos with the whole lake and trees in the backround, but now I see exactly what you mean. Thanks for the compliment too :)

Most reactions

Back