some bird pictures from today ....

bc_steve

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.stevedinicol.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I didn't think it was going to be a good day at all today. It was windy when I set out, which meant the Ravens were loving it. The sun came out a bit later and the wind calmed down. That's what the hawks and the eagles are into. I ended up seeing a pretty good variety of birds today :)

1. We're losing our spot :(

but I liked it just how it was! by Steve Dinicol, on Flickr

2. Red-Tailed Hawk in the Sun
$DSC_5010.jpg
red-tailed hawk by Steve Dinicol, on Flickr

3. And here comes an eagle
$DSC_5116.jpg
the eagle is landing by Steve Dinicol, on Flickr

4. That snowy mountain on the right is Harper Mountain, a local ski hill
$DSC_5180uncropped.jpg
bald eagle in front of harper mountain by Steve Dinicol, on Flickr

5. And here's the shot I was going for all day. Almost missed it because I got side-tracked by the eagle.
$DSC_5106crop.jpg
Raven by Steve Dinicol, on Flickr

Last edited:
First impressions:

1. I would crop this about the middle of the photo to get rid of the backhoe and other stuff, then I would crop the bottom about 1/3rd to 1/4 of the way up to produce an image with just the raven in the tree.
2. Nice, but a closer crop would be better.
3. I would be tempted to crop a little off both sides and place the landing bird in the right thirds position. I would also open up my image about +1/2 to +2/3 of exposure composition as the bird is a little underexposed.
4. Again, I would crop out the right side of the image, leaving the eagle sitting at about the 1/3rd position on the right. That way the bird is "looking" into the image, which is a much better composition than having all the "dead" space on the right. I would also open up my image about +1/2 to +2/3 of exposure composition as the bird is a little underexposed.
5. Nice action shot and having the moon in it is a bonus, but the bird is underexposed. I would be tempted to open up 1 to 2 stops to get more detail in the bird itself. If you shot this in raw, then you can probably correct this in post.

WesternGuy

Thanks WesternGuy. I appreciate the criticism. I went back and did a little re-editing and I like them better now. The first one I left the machine in the shot on purpose. It's not the greatest picture, but I just wanted a record of and to show what is happening to one of my favourite dog-walking/bird watching places.

2. Yep, this one looks better with the hawk taking up more of the frame

red-tailed hawk by Steve Dinicol, on Flickr

3. The more I look at this one the less I like it. Mostly I just like his pose. Cropped and brightened up a bit though it is definitely improved.

the eagle is landing by Steve Dinicol, on Flickr

4. You're right, the right side of the frame had nothing to offer. I didn't chop it all off because I wanted to keep Harper Mountain in the bottom right there. I took a bit off the bottom as well.

bald eagle in front of harper mountain by Steve Dinicol, on Flickr

5. I brightened him up a bit, but not too much. I will try this shot again at some point. Ideally what I would like is the subject to be a little higher up so I could go a bit closer in on the moon and have it more in focus.

Raven by Steve Dinicol, on Flickr

Thanks again for the advice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back