Some bird pictures

Stormchase

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Had a couple shots I have wanted to put up on here for a little while.
Got this flamingo at a local zoo.
5207244712_aeea4f9980_b.jpg

Lone sandpiper by my house. Thought it looked good as a B&W.

5207250442_91e787ae1a_b.jpg

dont know if I ever posted this. (sorry if i did)
Endangered Scrub jay in a nature preserve.

4847627594_94ee5e78c5_b.jpg

CC and comments always welcome!
Thanks for looking!

Very nice. I really like the flamingo pic.

They are good enough but I always like to see if I can extract great. I don't like the crop on any of them they lack the "pop" I try to get. So what would I do it to get the "pop"?

The first one needs to be cropped more, the 2nd and 3rd need less cropping.

The first one I would crop off any background on the top and sides leaving only the unavoidable in the top left corner. I would then start slowly moving in toward the center cropping off bits of the bird until I get the pop effect. Maybe just getting rid of the background would be enough. The result is a "pop" being a face full of bird.

The second one lacks pop because the ripples were snipped and thus deprive me of what ever the ripples would lend to the composition.

The third on has a beautiful fan effect in the back ground that was snipped and thus deprive me of what ever the fan would lend to the composition. I would also eliminate that bulb thing infringing on the birds tail.

But then again beauty is in the eye of the beholder and others would disagree.

These are all very good and strong images but as sobolik mentioned they are not cropped to give their full potential. I dont agree with one of his crops but he has the right idea

The first image needs to include off the birds cut off neck and a bit tighter on the bottom that would put the birds eye in the golden upper third spot

#2 I would crop off much of the upper water and some to the left to pull the bird down to the right hand upper third point

#3 Just needs to be taller to place the bird correctly in the image

This is my opinion and you will find many others who will differ.

I dont do much for post work on my shots. I tweek the basics but I dont get into the cgi stuff. as far as takeing stuff out of the picture. I have capable softwear. Spot removal is about as far as i go. I learned basics on film predigital days. Then you pretty much had to get it right out of camera. burn and dodge and what not in the dark room but 90% went to walgreens lol. You are welcome and encuraged to edit my shots. I learn well that way!

#3 Just needs to be taller to place the bird correctly in the image.

Could you explain more? Its just cropped a sliver. I wanted just a little enviroment + Jay. Just to add this was on a 90mm. I was able to get pretty close to him with a short lens.

I do agree with both of you about the issues with the 2nd shot. I cropped a bit off the left because of dead space but still wanted water for the feel of openess.

on the flamingo the neck think stinks. I thought it looked good on the lcd viewer and missed the retake. ah well :(
I did try different crops on this. For what its worth i thought it was more distracting having the top left dark corner the only dark spot so i keeped it a little more even. wouldnt mind a reshoot later down the road. I took again a bit off the left side. bumped the sat slider and sharp slider up a little thats about it.
Thanks for your feedback :thumbup:

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back