4. A cardinal.
_MG_4949copy-1.jpg

5. A winter robin.
_MG_5535o1-1.jpg

6. A penguin.
IMG_30140.jpg

7. Barn goose.
_MG_65470.jpg

Love the first shot... all are nice though! I see you aren't just a one trick (macro) pony! That dove is giving you the stink-eye! lol!

I see you shot these at 150mm to 400mm... what lens? I have been looking for something longer than my 70-200 with a 2x TC. Been looking at the Sigma 150-500.. can't justify the long primes!

Love the first shot... all are nice though! I see you aren't just a one trick (macro) pony! That dove is giving you the stink-eye! lol!

I see you shot these at 150mm to 400mm... what lens? I have been looking for something longer than my 70-200 with a 2x TC. Been looking at the Sigma 150-500.. can't justify the long primes!

Thank you Charlie:D The dove was pissed because I was distracting the girl dove he was hitting on :lol:

Photos 1,2,5, and 7 were shot with the sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro using a 580EXII flash and soft box, except the great blue and the goose were natural light. The others were shot with the Sigma 120-400mm OS zoom. I used a better beamer and the 580EXII flash. except for the cardinal, that was a tripod shot through double pane glass at a bird room, natural light.

I am giving serious though to selling the 120-400mm. Don't get me wrong it is a really good lens, but I am a prime lens user and good just does not work for me, I need the IQ that only comes from a prime. Some how, some way I will have one of the big primes…Someday...

Last edited:

Photos 1,2,5, and 7 were shot with the sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro using a 580EXII flash and soft box, except the great blue and the goose were natural light. The others were shot with the Sigma 120-400mm OS zoom. I used a better beamer and the 580EXII flash. except for the cardinal, that was a tripod shot through double pane glass at a bird room, natural light.

I am giving serious though to selling the 120-400mm. Don't get me wrong it is a really good lens, but I am a prime lens user and good just does not work for me, I need the IQ that only comes from a prime. Some how, some way I will have one of the big primes…Someday...

Yea.. I know.. those long primes are really sweet! lol! My trouble is anytime I am setup for something really long... something really cool shows up like three feet away! :) This summer had a bull moose like 10 feet way while shooting landscapes with my 10-24..... drives me nuts! Last week I was shooting some ducks at 30 yards or so with my 70-200 and a Raven lands inside my closest focusing distance, and just looks at me... and boogied when I tried to move, naturally. I did get some shots of the Raven... but nothing spectacular!

Yea.. I know.. those long primes are really sweet! lol! My trouble is anytime I am setup for something really long... something really cool shows up like three feet away! :) This summer had a bull moose like 10 feet way while shooting landscapes with my 10-24..... drives me nuts! Last week I was shooting some ducks at 30 yards or so with my 70-200 and a Raven lands inside my closest focusing distance, and just looks at me... and boogied when I tried to move, naturally. I did get some shots of the Raven... but nothing spectacular!

Isn't that the way it always is. I walk around with a full backpack, and don't you know the one thing that I find I need, is the one piece of gear I left at home…..Yesterday I decided that I would only take the macro rig to the butterfly room, and the tropical birds in there were landing right next to me. Too close for the 150mm macro….Friggen birds…...:lol:

In my opinion these are all very nice shots. They look sharp and detailed to me. Love the Robin shot.

Jerry

They all great. Nice focus and composition.

I really like #2 because it's a whole scene, not just an up close photo of a bird, and great expression on #3. #1 has lovely crisp detail.

They all great. Nice focus and composition.

I really like #2 because it's a whole scene, not just an up close photo of a bird, and great expression on #3. #1 has lovely crisp detail.

Thank you blackrose :D

super bird set for sure. Love Pic #2 because it's just not about a close up of a bird.

Nice shots. I like #3. I would like more intense light to make the colors brighter. It's nature after all.

Thunder-- are you using your flash and Better Beamer on camera? and if so, how do you avoid / deal with the bird equivalent of red eye?

Nice shots. I like #3. I would like more intense light to make the colors brighter. It's nature after all.

Thank you ishootmuscles :D

I'll try to revisit this shot this weekend and reprocess it and see if I can improve it. Thank you for your input.

Thunder-- are you using your flash and Better Beamer on camera? and if so, how do you avoid / deal with the bird equivalent of red eye?

Yes, the flash is camera mounted. I have never experienced red eye in bird shots, lucky I guess.

Been thinking about this. It might be that the flash shots all are taken at an angle above or below the bird instead of straight on. Shots 1,3,5, and 6 are flash shots.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back