Some College Football Action

Hof8231

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My first real attempt at football photography, and as I am not a professional and was not on the field, I had to take all my pictures from the same spot. I chose the 50 yard line first row because half court at basketball has been a good spot in my experiences...not so much in football. I had forgotten how low the wall is, meaning the bench players would be in the way any time the action was at the left hash mark or closer. Anyway, I'm not one to make excuses so here's the best I could do. Comments and constructive criticism always appreciated!

All shots taken with the 1DX and my newly acquired Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 (which I LOVE by the way)

9753289731_887d5d5bfe_z.jpg

9753287571_235446a67e_z.jpg

9753492464_e05aaf2bb5_z.jpg

9753561823_88a0b3bc51_z.jpg

9753286511_8eb1edafc7_z.jpg

9753483256_9f6eaa2bc3_z.jpg

9753479595_daef31bd76_z.jpg

I know this is a lot of pictures, but I figured you guys may excuse me since it's my first real attempt and am looking for feedback. I don't expect extensive feedback on all of the photos considering the quantity and as always, any feedback at all that will help me become a better photographer is much appreciated.

Looks good. Watermark them and send to the SID for the home team. Tell them you would like a credential to improve your shots. For teams at that level, it might happen. It's not Alabama, Michigan etc... If they say no approach a D3 school. Shoot one game from the sidelines then see if there is an opening with the athletics dept or a local paper. You just never know unless you ask.

Thank man! I guess it's worth a shot. What's the worst that could happen, right?

Nice shots. Wasn't that a pretty good game? Seems like u saw a couple of highlights on espn.

Thanks! Yeah, it was a good one. Temple (maroon jerseys) was heavily favored and was winning by 6 in the last minute. Fordham's QB scrambled with about a half a minute left and threw a jump ball that his WR came down with for about a 30 yard TD to win it. It was crazy. The worst part for Temple is that their kicker missed a chip shot field goal in the first half that could have been the difference. He had to have felt like crap.

I like 4 and 6 simply because you got the flying ball in the shot too, which I think makes a much better composition. I think the isolation of the subject is good in 2 and 5 too, but #5 looks like its slightly out of focus or heavily cropped. Pretty good set though. I would be trying to get credentials at the school with these to practice.

I like 4 and 6 simply because you got the flying ball in the shot too, which I think makes a much better composition. I think the isolation of the subject is good in 2 and 5 too, but #5 looks like its slightly out of focus or heavily cropped. Pretty good set though. I would be trying to get credentials at the school with these to practice.

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, #5 is a really heavy crop. I liked how it looked with his body position/eyes, but I couldn't crop it any wider without getting any of the sideline players' heads in the shot :/

Those are some very good football action shots. I know how hard it is just by trying to shoot little league football. I like the tight crops and captured emotion. Good job!!

Those are some very good football action shots. I know how hard it is just by trying to shoot little league football. I like the tight crops and captured emotion. Good job!!

Thank you very much!

Most reactions

Back