www.iamacyborg.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Some stuff I shot last weekend.

5198541040_d5949b061d_z.jpg

5202075768_433a65caeb_z.jpg

5198528066_abf926df2d_z.jpg

They weren't snapshots!
More seriously, I was trying to emphasise the grain, and the composition and lighting were taken into consideration when taking the shots.
Just wish I could have a faster 24mm prime. My f2.8 Nikkor has no real DoF.

Just wish I could have a faster 24mm prime. My f2.8 Nikkor has no real DoF.

I think you have a misunderstanding about DoF. A faster lens won't increase
it and a 24/2.8 has plenty of it if used properly for that purpose.

I think you have a misunderstanding about DoF. A faster lens won't increase
it and a 24/2.8 has plenty of it if used properly for that purpose.

Faster, as in, a 24mm f1.4 lens. Maybe I've been thinking the wrong way, but when one talks about faster lenses, isn't that generally just talking about the f-stop?

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about when it comes to depth of field.

A faster lens won't give you more depth of field.

Increasing DoF on a particular lens is done by either stopping the lens
down (using a larger "f/stop number" aka a smaller aperture) and/or by
focusing to a point further from the lens.

A faster lens will allow you to shoot at a wider aperture (smaller "f/stop
number") which would lessen its DoF, not increase it.

In short, if you want more DoF from your 24mm lens, stop it down further,
i.e. use a smaller aperture or "larger f/stop number." For example, shoot
at 5.6, 8, 11, 16, etc.

A 24mm lens on a film camera shot at f/16 would give you a DoF of
roughly 2.5 feet to infinity if focused properly.

Last edited:
Sorry, my bad, I didn't explain what I meant well enough.
By increase DoF, I meant tighten it, hence talking about 24/1.4.

So, you want less depth of field then?

So, what f stop were these shot with?

These were all f8. I took some shots at f2.8 that I've not uploaded anywhere. The DoF is just too wide on them. I could upload them if you want to see, but don't expect anything great ;)

Unfortunately, I've only got my 24/2.8 at the moment, other lenses are a few hours train ride away :(

When it comes to landscapes (subject relatively far away) and a wide lens like a 24mm, I don't think you're going to see much noticable difference between f/2.8 and say, f/1.4 for example.

24mm @ f/2.8 with a 35mm camera focussed on something 50 ft away has sharpness from 15.4 ft out to infinity.

24mm @ f/1.4 with a 35mm camera focused on something 50 ft away has sharpness from 23.6 ft out to infinity.

So what do you think you'd gain with a faster lens in such situations?

When it comes to landscapes (subject relatively far away) and a wide lens like a 24mm, I don't think you're going to see much noticable difference between f/2.8 and say, f/1.4 for example.

24mm @ f/2.8 with a 35mm camera focussed on something 50 ft away has sharpness from 15.4 ft out to infinity.

24mm @ f/1.4 with a 35mm camera focused on something 50 ft away has sharpness from 23.6 ft out to infinity.

I like to get very close to stuff when I shoot with the 24, so I'd definitely see a difference with it.

I like to get very close to stuff when I shoot with the 24, so I'd definitely see a difference with it.
Yeah, okay. Whatever you say.

Yes indeedy. I always get my semantics missed up :confused:

I took some shots at f2.8 that I've not uploaded anywhere. The DoF is just too wide on them.

I do think you're struggling with semantics here. :) It seems you're confusing DoF with lens focal lengths. If you want to see wide angles when you look through your viewfinder, your 24mm will continue to serve you well. The depth of field is controlled through aperture - your f stops. Some cameras have a DoF preview button that allows you to check your selected focus, based on your choice of f-stop - but this is independent of which lens (focal length) you have.

Most reactions

Back