Some Georgia Hummers

RandyB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I thought I'd post some of my hummingbirds here in Georgia.

hummingbird1.jpg

hummingbird2.jpg

hummingbird7.jpg

hummingbird6.jpg

I have got put some pic here, that I didn't try to make perfect. Any comments are welcome.

Last edited:
Really beautiful birds, can you predict where they are going to be, like right next to the feeders? If so could you set up a tripod and remote release, then you could even use a flash and get some really close and crisp shots. In these even though they are beautiful the birds are a little way a way to really apreciate.

tim

I agree with the Timster. Looks like you have a nice set-up to catch some amazing close-ups. Look forward to seeing the results! :)

Good effort to capture shots of these lightning-fast little birds! Hope you can put into effect tpe's suggestions, as you'll get some wonderful shots for sure.

tpe is right.

I found that Hummers have a distinctive behavior around the feeders. They usually go in for a drink, back off and hover, then go in for seconds. What I eventually did was to prefocus on one of the ports and then turn auto-focus OFF. The DoF has to be enough so that if the bird is not exactly where you focused, it will still get captured in focus.

Suggestions:
Your feeders look pretty close to the ground. Personally, I would raise one to a comfortable tripod height. Put a piece of tape over all but one of the feeding ports so that you can increase your odds of where the bird will be.

Set up your camera on a tripod with your 55-200mm lens. I would move in as close as necessary, but give yourself some wiggle room so that you're not narrowed in too closely on the shot. They do move and quickly. After a little while, they should get use to you being there and won't be bothered.

A remote will come in very handy to avoid camera shake.... even if on a tripod.

For these shots, I had the camera set to Manual shooting mode. Aperture set from f/4 to f/5.6, Shutter Speed set to 1/500 to 1/2000 and ISO set to 400. Exposure Compensation from -0.7 to -1.7EV. I also took a $h1+ load of exposures. :lol:

I also do not put red coloring in the syrup mixture. It isn't of any benefit to the birds and they will still come to feed. Trust me. Looks like you have Ruby Throated Hummers, same as me. They are just too cool to watch.

It looks like you have a nice place from them to come around. Hope some of my garble helps. Good Luck.

Last edited:
tpe is right.

I found that Hummers have a distinctive behavior around the feeders. They usually go in for a drink, back off and hover, then go in for seconds. What I eventually did was to prefocus on one of the ports and then turn auto-focus OFF. The DoF has to be enough so that if the bird is not exactly where you focused, it will still get captured in focus.

Suggestions:
Your feeders look pretty close to the ground. Personally, I would raise one to a comfortable tripod height. Put a piece of tape over all but one of the feeding ports so that you can increase your odds of where the bird will be.

Set up your camera on a tripod with your 55-200mm lens. I would move in as close as necessary, but give yourself some wiggle room so that you're not narrowed in too closely on the shot. They do move and quickly. After a little while, that should get use to you being there and won't be bothered.

A remote will come in very handy to avoid camera shake.... even if on a tripod.

For these shots, I had the camera set to Manual shooting mode. Aperture set from f/4 to f/5.6, Shutter Speed set to 1/500 to 1/2000 and ISO set to 400. Exposure Compensation from -0.7 to -1.7EV. I also took a $h1+ load of exposures. :lol:

I also do not put red coloring in the syrup mixture. It isn't of any benefit to the birds and they will still come to feed. Trust me. Looks like you have Ruby Throated Hummers, same as me. They are just too cool to watch.

It looks like you have a nice place from them to come around. Hope some of my garble helps. Good Luck.

Thanks for the info! I told my wife I could make the syrup myself, but she wants to buy.

I'm gonna try you manual settings and yes, I can set a tripod up close, these hummers have grown in numbers. I love sitting watching them.

Thanks for all the comments!

These are some result of playing after getting info from ya'll

1. My favorite!
zoom_006.jpg

zoom_007.jpg

zoom_009-1.jpg

zoom-017.jpg

5. Lucky One!
lucky_020.jpg

6. The full picture of 5
020.jpg

BTW Remote doesn't work as good as continues shots from the camera
Those creatures are hard to catch!

Last edited:
...Suggestions:

You, are amazing. Thanks for that tip. I always get so frustrated when they go on the other side of the feeder. Thank you so much

~Michael~

Most reactions

Back