some handheld 10-22mm action

mrmacedonian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, our Church had an "open house" during their (first) annual Macedonian Festival here near Columbus. As it was wrapping up I remembered I had my camera in the car and ran in to try out the 10-22mm. Wish it weren't midnight so I could get some shots of the outside, but I thought I'd see if anyone had any comments on these inside shots.

These are tests of the 10-22mm and I'm not sure if they aren't straight oor if the wide angle is distorting perspective and thats what's seems a bit off when I stare at it to long :p

St. Mary's Macedonian Orthodox Church:

5010707871_2dc8ddd68a_b.jpg

- in order to get the exposure on the doors/exterior walls decent the interior is far to bright; not sure how much I could do about that without some strobes to light that exterior room

5011312344_c19ecaf8f6_b.jpg

- the lines up-top look pretty plumb, as do the far bench lines while the close ones looks a bit off/distorted; I'm attributing this to the wide angle?

5011314686_7835cbb515_b.jpg

- the original here exposed for the brightly lit wall in the background so i tried to PP it to get some detail back in the wood work. also bumped vibrant +10 and saturation +5 in post.

Just thought I'd get some thoughts... Angles/Perspectives/Compositions/etc.

I'll likely be going back with a tripod/shutter release/mirror lock up and at least one strobe, so I'll put any advice/suggestions to good use later on :)

I quite like these, especially the first. Looks like the very very slight asymmetry is from shooting alightly round to the right rather than straight on. Although it really would take only a very very small adjustment.

Man I wonder if I'll get similar or even wider angle w/ the 5D and 16-35mm lens when it arrives. I love the wide angle looks, especially for beach n some interior works

ive had a pang for that lens forever.
tbh these shots dont do much for me, but i cant wait to see you post moar with that lens.

Your church is gorgeous. Love the wide angle view. Rented one for a week here at the end of the month. Can not wait.

Those floors look slippery! That is a beautiful,beautiful church. Good use of the wide-angle lens to show us your place of worship. Nice processing and tonal control on the shots posted. I especially liked the first shot you showed us, with the reflection of the altar on the polished floor...that's a nice detail to have noticed.

I think #1 might work very well if you exposed for the interior room and just let the exterior room go slightly dark.

The 10-22 is a 'fun' lens to shoot.
As has been mentioned, #1 is well composed and the distortion is not too bad. LR3 has a preset to correct the distort, and you will notice that it is not a district measure most of the time.
The colors from this lens are really nice, and look how crisp the photo is, even on the web.

Hard to say without being there, but in #2, it might have been nice to see more of the chandelier.

Nice job, keep it up.

I am sorry that this comment isn't directed at the photo or the photographer, but as a past custodian, I have to comment on that janitor's skills with waxing the floor. Absolutely stunning job.

Looks like the very very slight asymmetry is from shooting alightly round to the right rather than straight on. Although it really would take only a very very small adjustment.

Thanks, I'm definitely headed back there asap to experiment some more :)

..i cant wait to see you post moar with that lens.

i can't wait to take moaar! i got the lens for real estate photography so i'll be practicing that for a while before i do anything fun

Your church is gorgeous. Love the wide angle view. Rented one for a week here at the end of the month. Can not wait.

Thank you! Yeah I'm enjoying the wide angle myself, hopefully you'll have as much fun as i am :D

Those floors look slippery! That is a beautiful,beautiful church. Good use of the wide-angle lens to show us your place of worship. Nice processing and tonal control on the shots posted. I especially liked the first shot you showed us, with the reflection of the altar on the polished floor...that's a nice detail to have noticed.

Thanks Derrel, it is quite beautiful. i really wish the shot of the altar turned out better the woodworking is pretty spectacular itself. Thanks usually I let LR either Auto WB or pick one of the preset, but this one i moved the dial myself and landed here; i felt it was authentic. To be honest I didn't know how well the reflection would come across, so thats more luck than planning.

I think #1 might work very well if you exposed for the interior room and just let the exterior room go slightly dark.

Not a bad idea, I'll try a few shots leaving or making that exterior room dark.. could look pretty cool :)

Thanks for the input all, i'll share the re-do whenever i get a chance to get out there and i'll take some better detail in the chandelier.. i have a few shots of it but they didn't really work with the wide angle, so I'll shoot that with the 50mm perhaps.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back