Some headshots of my sister.

xDarek

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took these photos today, and I think the focus on the eyes is amazing, what do you think?
_DSC1386.JPG

_DSC1387.JPG

I wish I couldn't see you in the reflection of her eyes. At that close up it's distracting.

I wish I couldn't see you in the reflection of her eyes. At that close up it's distracting.
A, I thought that my reflection in her eyes is good :), and now I saw that the second one is not so sharp.Thanks for your feedback.

would have preferred a longer lens.
this shot over emphasizes her nose.
it's nice smile. the stuff in the background detracts from the shot.

Are these for a specific purpose, or just for practice? First and foremost, to really be a headshot, one should see all of the head. Some photographers (Peter Hurley) have a made a "signature" out of cropping the tops of people's heads, but in general I'm not a fan, and I'm never a fan of cropping the chin. Had you shot this in portrait aspect, those problems would have gone away.

While the window provided a nice, even light, it's not very exciting, and the placement of the catchlight dead-center isn't really ideal. In general we want to see a clearly defined pupil and iris with the catchlight in [typically] the 10.00 or 2.00 position.

As mentioned, the background elements are rather distracting as well. I think by turning her slightly in relation to the window, you could have produced a stronger image with some shadow to provide better definition. A longer lens would DEFINITELY have produced a more proportional image.

Some photographers (Peter Hurley) have a made a "signature" out of cropping the tops of people's heads, but in general I'm not a fan, and I'm never a fan of cropping the chin.

I just googled "posing headshots" this morning, haha, and the first three articles were about his style. For what it's worth.

I know that you just got the camera, and are very excited about it, so that's great! Keep working with it, learning what it can do, and so on. Keep something in mind: for every three photos you take as "wides", try and take at least one "tall". It's really tricky these days;while computer displays naturally lend themselves to "wides", smart phones in normal orientation lend themselves to "tall" photos.

In the case of people photography, look through the top fashion and style magazines, like W, and LA Style for an example; you will find like, literally, 85% of the images are "talls". People are taller than they are wide. When a subject itself is taller than it is wide, generally, a tall composition will make sense. Especially on close-in shots.

Last edited:
I took these photos today, and I think the focus on the eyes is amazing, what do you think?
Aside from the frame, which was already mentioned, your depth of field is thin, which makes it difficult at best to get your model's face entirely in focus.

She is pretty, so I hope you make many more photographs of this model.

Are these for a specific purpose, or just for practice? First and foremost, to really be a headshot, one should see all of the head. Some photographers (Peter Hurley) have a made a "signature" out of cropping the tops of people's heads, but in general I'm not a fan, and I'm never a fan of cropping the chin. Had you shot this in portrait aspect, those problems would have gone away.

While the window provided a nice, even light, it's not very exciting, and the placement of the catchlight dead-center isn't really ideal. In general we want to see a clearly defined pupil and iris with the catchlight in [typically] the 10.00 or 2.00 position.

As mentioned, the background elements are rather distracting as well. I think by turning her slightly in relation to the window, you could have produced a stronger image with some shadow to provide better definition. A longer lens would DEFINITELY have produced a more proportional image.
I know that you just got the camera, and are very excited about it, so that's great! Keep working with it, learning what it can do, and so on. Keep something in mind: for every three photos you take as "wides", try and take at least one "tall". It's really tricky these days;while computer displays naturally lend themselves to "wides", smart phones in normal orientation lend themselves to "tall" photos.

In the case of people photography, look through the top fashion and style magazines, like W, and LA Style for an example; you will find like, literally, 85% of the images are "talls". People are taller than they are wide. When a subject itself is taller than it is wide, generally, a tall composition will make sense. Especially on close-in shots.
Aside from the frame, which was already mentioned, your depth of field is thin, which makes it difficult at best to get your model's face entirely in focus.

She is pretty, so I hope you make many more photographs of this model.
Thank you guys for your feedback, I totally agree with you all, I will use your advices when I will shoot again these type of photos.

You got good advice above.

Just to add, your sister looks very comfortable and natural in front of the camera, this is often as hard to achieve as the technical side, so I am sure you will get great shots going fwd while practicing the advice from previous posters

You got good advice above.

Just to add, your sister looks very comfortable and natural in front of the camera, this is often as hard to achieve as the technical side, so I am sure you will get great shots going fwd while practicing the advice from previous posters
Thank you :D

Most reactions

Back