Lensmeister

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this EN
Website
www.lensmeister.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As some of you know I am off to the USA in about 45 days .....

Right. Here's the point were I get stoopid.

Before now I have thrown a roll of 50 or 25 ISO into my Canon EOS 10 and snapped away merrily. This time however it's my 350D. This has posed a couple of thoughts and possible problems for me. I'll address them one by one and if anyone can help thanks.

1. I have always used a 25/50/100 ISO for some of my night shots used the Bulb or 1 second function and got good results. Not If I want to do the same sort of thing with the 350D is this possible?
  2. With it being July and August I am hoping for sun, sun, sun. What about over exposure using the 350D. It doesn't go as low as 25 or 50 ISO. WIll this be a problem?
  3. Due to weight problems (the luggage etc.) Iam being limited to only 2 lenses my 18-55mm and my 28-135mm. I am going to shoot on large JPEG. You all reckon this will be ok for zooming in on PS when I get back?
  4. Back to the night shots. I am thinking to use the RAW on these so I can tinker and blow them up in to nice large photos. What do you all reckon?
  5. I want to make this trip a total photofest. Before I go I am going to photograph the tickets, the kids looking at the brochure, and the family packing the case. So when I get to the airport does anyone think I am going to be arrested for taking a photo of the kids by the gate or the plane?
    (Honest I am not a terrorist - I have two little terrors but not a terrorist).

Also I have bought a underwater compact camera for £5.00 which is a film one (just a bog standard free focus compact in a casing) This should be ok as I really don't want to use the 350D by the pool. Never can be too careful with the kids etc.

I know some of these questions are stoopid and I should know the answers but I just wanted other peoples opinions.

*** EDIT***

Rather than steal or Hijacck another thread. Does anyone think I should shoot the whole trip in Raw, JPEG or RAW AND Jpeg ?

Thanks all .....

1. Stick it on ISO minimum and use a normal Av exposure no problems.
2. There's not a lot you can do about this. With digital, it's damn hard to see any difference between 100 and 400 ISO, so I wouldn't worry.
3. Yep
4. Yep
5. Well, you do look a bit dodgy. Lol, if you've got the kids with you no-one will bat an eyelid I wouldn't think.

Rob

My thought is to use RAW all the time.

The very first shots I took with my camera were shots I wanted to use as kind of reference shots so I took 2 shots of a perfectly blue sky. One was in RAW and one in JPEG. The JPEG shot came out much different from the RAW from the internal processing in the camera. those first 2 shots convinced me to shoot EVERYTHING in RAW and do any kind of post processing in PS so I can have control over what is being done.

The alternative thought is that you will get a lot more (how many? not sure.. just more) shots per card in JPEG.

Rob said:
5. Well, you do look a bit dodgy. Lol, if you've got the kids with you no-one will bat an eyelid I wouldn't think.

Rob

Thanks mate :(

I still wouldn't buy a used car off you ;)

Seriously

Thanks both of you for the ideas.

I might shoot raw and L Jpeg all the time I have a 30GB X's Drivd to back up on daily ... :)

Lensmeister said:
  1. I have always used a 25/50/100 ISO for some of my night shots used the Bulb or 1 second function and got good results. Not If I want to do the same sort of thing with the 350D is this possible?
  2. Back to the night shots. I am thinking to use the RAW on these so I can tinker and blow them up in to nice large photos. What do you all reckon?

100 ISO and RAW should be fine. Depending on what you are shooting, you might also like to consider using long exposure noise reduction and mirror lockup (both available as custom functions on your 350D/Rebel XT). If you don't ahve a cable release, that would be a good idea too :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back