Some help with photo editing

nick87453

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello there, I am really trying to figure out how to make an effect on my photos and I cannot figure out what it is called or how to apply it to my photos. I know how to put a darkened boarder and all but I have seen textured darkened boarders and would love to do that with some of my photos. Here are some examples of what I am trying to do.

https://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/6247739/il_fullxfull.324995105.jpg

I also want to know how to add variations on textures to give photos an old kind of feel to them.

https://img1.etsystatic.com/016/1/6280611/il_570xN.450077791_tmx0.jpg

And things like this

https://img0.etsystatic.com/038/0/6912538/il_570xN.575233386_m72i.jpg

I am using the Gimp 2 program and if someone could just tell me what it is, I can try to look it up. If someone would care to share detailed directions on how to achieve this it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

No, no, no. If you try and create that look using high-tech editing software it won't be authentic and it'll just look cheesy. Take your photos to Wally World and have prints made. Lay the prints out on the dash of your car and make sure you park in the sun a lot. It'll only take a couple of weeks for them to ripen. Then lay the prints out on the floor in your home or office and walk on them for awhile -- shuffle a little so some of them tear -- nothing like a piece of scotch tape to get that authentic look. Then all you have to do is re-photograph the prints with your phone and they'll be ready to upload to InstaArt -- no editing required.

Joe

there are a wide variety of textures available, try Photomorphis website. they are plugins so you will need a os that supports those types of files

No, no, no. If you try and create that look using high-tech editing software it won't be authentic and it'll just look cheesy. Take your photos to Wally World and have prints made. Lay the prints out on the dash of your car and make sure you park in the sun a lot. It'll only take a couple of weeks for them to ripen. Then lay the prints out on the floor in your home or office and walk on them for awhile -- shuffle a little so some of them tear -- nothing like a piece of scotch tape to get that authentic look. Then all you have to do is re-photograph the prints with your phone and they'll be ready to upload to InstaArt -- no editing required.

Joe

Seriously... This sounds like an awesome project. xD

Joe

Seriously... This sounds like an awesome project. xD

Seriously -- I knew a "fine artist" back in the day who took his processed rolls of film and laid them out in a parking lot and ran over them with his car (multiple times) before making "fine art" prints for a gallery show. Boy Scouts honor that's the truth. At least what he did was original. Canned software effects are a notch down from there. Gimmickry, it's kinda of pathetic. Canned gimmickry has been sitting open in the frig for a week. Are you really gonna eat that?

Joe

No, no, no. If you try and create that look using high-tech editing software it won't be authentic and it'll just look cheesy.

then dont use cheese as a texture.

Way to go, Joe! I made a similar recommendation once to someone who was using film and wanted to recreate the effects of heat-damaged film. Easy-peasy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back