Some High ISO Samples of D800 and D4 and others.

EchoingWhisper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I resized D800 to 57%, 5DM2 to 75%, D4 to 85%.

D700 at the lowest, D4 at second lowest, 5DM2 at second highest, D800 at highest

D700 at the lowest, D4 at second lowest, 5DM2 at second highest, D800 at highest, desaturated

D3s at the lowest, D4 at second lowest, 5DM2 at second highest, D800 at highest

D3s at the lowest, D4 at second lowest, 5DM2 at second highest, D800 at highest, desaturated

The D4 and D800 seems impressive. D4 exceeds D800 a lot in terms of color noise, but in terms of luminance noise, there isn't too big of a difference. Color noise can easily be removed in Lightroom. If color noise is removed, the D4 hasn't really got much advantage. If you're still worried if you're facing image quality problems from D800 and not buying, then don't worry, the image quality exceeds all previous cameras. Let's see how Canon competes with their 5DM3 and 1DX.

Last edited:
Looks like -
Color noise - D4 > D3s > D700, D800 > 5DM2
Luminance noise - D4 > D800 > D3s > 5DM2 > D700

cool, thanks for taking the time to put that together

I just saw on Nikon Rumors that someone posted some D800 pics on flickr. I opened up the full size images and they are 103.5MB. THATS HUGE! I looked at two photos in the original size, then draged the file to my desktop and opened in photoshop. I went to image size and it was 33 x 23 but the file size is what really got me. Im assuming that these were raw files up uploaded as jpg for flickr(not sure if you can upload a nef file to flickr). Over time that is going to kill your hard drive space dont you think?

Nikon should offer a free 1TB with the purchase of this body:lol:

I just saw on Nikon Rumors that someone posted some D800 pics on flickr. I opened up the full size images and they are 103.5MB. THATS HUGE! I looked at two photos in the original size, then draged the file to my desktop and opened in photoshop. I went to image size and it was 33 x 23 but the file size is what really got me. Im assuming that these were raw files up uploaded as jpg for flickr(not sure if you can upload a nef file to flickr). Over time that is going to kill your hard drive space dont you think?

Lossless compressed NEG files should be around 50MB if I'm not mistaken.

try it is all i can say

Cost of storage is on a downward slope.

sovietdoc said:
Except HDD prices are high because of floods.

That is just temporary and the price will drop dramatically once production exceeds demand.

sovietdoc said:

That is just temporary and the price will drop dramatically once production exceeds demand.

And as technology advances.

It's always funny when something new comes out and everyone thinks that the technology that works along side it is just going to sit still. Plain silly....

sovietdoc said:

And as technology advances.

It's always funny when something new comes out and everyone thinks that the technology that works along side it is just going to sit still. Plain silly....

Also, people will pay thousands for a camera body, pc, lens tripod and much, much more, but won't drop the change on a quality storage system for their precious files???

Newegg.com - External Hard Drives

HD space is the cheapest part of the chain these days.

Most reactions

Back