Some High Speed Water Drop Shots

TTM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I have been home the past few days and decided to see what I could do with my new-to-me T1i. Here's the full album on Photobucket. Quite a few were out of focus (I was off by just a bit), and I was using a rather short depth of field (ranging from 5.6-10), but it did result it some pretty cool photos where just the part of the burst nearest the camera was focused.

High Speed Water pictures by redsox985 - Photobucket

And some of my favorites...

IMG_9544.jpg

IMG_9500.jpg

IMG_9508.jpg

Definitely my favorite. ^^^ I think it's something about the symmetry. I can't say really.

IMG_9337.jpg

IMG_9480.jpg

Suggestions other than a higher f stop and maybe lower ISO? Thanks!

Last edited:
maybe supplemental flash and non-distracting backgrounds? :)

Are you looking for C&C? Or help?

You can get much more interesting splashes in a container of liquid, btw!

C&C or help...basically anything. This was my first attempt at high speed stuff, so I didn't expect a whole ton, actually less than I got. I understand the backgrounds part, I just threw this together quickly. As for an outside flash, I'm just about broke, so I'm going to have to make do with the two utility lights I could find. :p From what I've found in the camera settings, I can't get the built-in flash to fire at anything higher than 1/200. Can I bypass this restriction?

Thanks.

with flash.. you don't need a faster shutter speed. Flash is faster than any shutter that ever existed..... for instance, a Nikon SB-900 has these flash durations:

1/880 second at M1/1 (full) output
1/1,000 second at M1/2 output
1/2,550 second at M1/4 output
1/5,000 second at M1/8 output
1/10,000 second at M1/16 output
1/20,000 second at M1/32 output
1/35,700 second at M1/64 output
1/38,500 second at M1/128 output (YES>>> 38,500 of a SECOND!)

Try shooting at about F11, Aperture Priority, ISO 400 with flash.. see what happens!

I've been shooting in manual mode, but it won't allow me to shoot with built-in flash any faster than 1/200. Today, I was using from 1/2000-4000. It seems I need an external flash to go any higher than 1/200.

I've been shooting in manual mode, but it won't allow me to shoot with built-in flash any faster than 1/200. Today, I was using from 1/2000-4000.

read your manual! Flash sync speeds are limited to a max of 250 usually.. except for a special high speed FP sync mode that I don't think your camera has. As I said.. you don't need a fast shutter speed.. the flash is much faster.. and it will expose the shot just fine.

If you want manual.. then just make sure the flash is in TTL mode... set a shutter of 200... aperture of F11... ISO 400 (100 would be better, but that is a tiny flash.. 400 will give you some leeway)! Shoot!

Have fun!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mishele. I totally loved that tutorial. Something to try this weekend

I liked the last shot. It could have better composition though.

Here's the thing...everyone and there mother does the same old water drops in a bowl with colored background. Seen so many they all look the the same.

This is the first time I have seen someone explore the genre by having the water drop onto something! Keep experimenting TTM, you're off to a good start doing something a wee bit different from the norm!

I agree, creative thinking is great!!
Just use the video to get the basics down, from there be as creative as possible!!

Here's the thing...everyone and there mother does the same old water drops in a bowl with colored background. Seen so many they all look the the same.

This is the first time I have seen someone explore the genre by having the water drop onto something! Keep experimenting TTM, you're off to a good start doing something a wee bit different from the norm!

Haha, thanks for the encouragement. Honestly, I wasn't trying to go some different route with it, I was cleaning up after making bacon and a drop of water hit the middle of the sink and I saw it burst it both directions, so I decided I'd try to shoot it on my sick day. Now that I think about it though, I have some more ideas for future days...

As for, cgipson1, I did RTFM (I'm glad no one shouted that at me from the get go!), I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking an elephant in the room. I'll try out your suggestions soon when I shoot again. Hopefully with some better lighting, well, with not so much of a back @$$-wards light box as I threw together today.

Haha, thanks for the encouragement. Honestly, I wasn't trying to go some different route with it, I was cleaning up after making bacon and a drop of water hit the middle of the sink and I saw it burst it both directions, so I decided I'd try to shoot it on my sick day. Now that I think about it though, I have some more ideas for future days...

As for, cgipson1, I did RTFM (I'm glad no one shouted that at me from the get go!), I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking an elephant in the room. I'll try out your suggestions soon when I shoot again. Hopefully with some better lighting, well, with not so much of a back @$$-wards light box as I threw together today.

Cool! Have fun! :)

I've been dying to try this out, but flash photography is still another language to me.

I've been dying to try this out, but flash photography is still another language to me.
It's really easy if you just wing it 'til something works like I do! I got a little impatient so I grabbed my contact solution and camera and tried it at 1/200 with flash...it's definitely got potential. It was tough using one hand to drip and the other to shoot. I have some ideas for other shots as well as a light box improvement. More to come tomorrow hopefully!

I was cleaning up after making bacon

BACON!

... and a drop of water hit the middle of the sink and I saw it burst it both directions, so I decided I'd try to shoot it on my sick day.

That's how it starts...seeing something in everyday life...creativity sparked...

Most reactions

Back