elsaspet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.visionsinwhite.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
:lovey:

Ok. Here is the new thread. :) This is in reference to me shooting with my flash all the way backwards 9-10th of the time.
My original post was:

Hi Ajay,
Not a noob question at all. I've had pros ask the same thing.
It's just a little thing I learned from a photog who learned from someone else, who learned from someone else.

My main lens is a 35mm 1.4. I have to get in close. I HATE flash shadows, unless they are done intentionally. I also am a freak for ambeint light. So.....I turn my flash backwards, get in close, and shoot. That is how I get that pretty ambience with never a hint of flash shadow. It's just enough light for the subjects in the photo, but never enough to destroy the background.

I could simply lower my flash, but then I'd have to mess with it if I go outside into the sun, or shoot something further away. This way I just turn my flash back around (still foofing up) and keep rolling.

This will not work if you shoot primarily with a long lens, or are a far off shooter.

It's funny though, because now I have some of my other photog friends doing it, and when we get together, people think we are clueless. LOL.

And the question was:
Does it matter how big of a room you are working in? Is it facing straight backwards or do you angle it to the ceiling at all? I'm so glad I came across this post. I never would have thought of anything like that. Is it possible you could post some examples, if not in this thread, maybe start a new one? I know this has gone off topic from the original post. Thanks for the quick reply.

No, normally I don't use the ceiling at all. It's cranked straight backwards.
I only foof (using the ceiling or walls) if I'm shooting forward flash, and that's rare for me. Normally the flash is literally sitting on top of my noggin.

Here are some examples:

Hemme0349.gif

Hemme0503.gif

DeihmWed0662.jpg

Leslie0057.jpg

Rob0011.jp

erin0440-1.jpg

erin0530.jpg

Leslie0002.jpg

For the most part, if it's not the wedding ceremony itself (where I use no flash), or a formal portrait.....I've shot it with the flash completely backwards.
There are lots more examples in the wedding gallery on my website.
Play with it. It's a little wacky, but it works.
Hope that helps!
website here: www.visionsinwhite.com

Who knew something so simple could make such a difference. Thanks for sharing some examples. I love your website, btw.
How slow of a shutter speed do you manage with this technique?
I have my first real paid wedding in December, all indoors. I'm getting a 50mm f/1.8 next week, which I'm hoping will really help me with the low lighting.
I can't wait to go try this out.
Out of curiosity, what kind of lens do you use for indoor ceremonies?

Hi Ajay.
Thank you for your kind words.

Ok, I know this isn't a popular answer but here it goes:

I almost always shoot the ceremony at 1600 2.8 40th of a second, manual, unless it's unusualy bright or outdoors. I can adjust from there. It's a good starting point for me.

On receptions, I usually end up at 1600 2.8 at 250th of a second. Again, manual, and again I adjust for the light. It's another of my standard starting points.

The nifty fifty is a good lens and a wise purchase. Yes, it will help. If you still aren't getting enough light at 2.8, crank that puppy down all the way to 1.8.

One peice of advice I would give you prior to the wedding, would be to shoot manual. Program and AV won't cut it here. The light is too low.

Because this would be your first wedding, you need to practice this alot first. I'd rather see you use direct flash and get the shot, than miss it with a fairly funky fined tuned thing like this.
When you practice, go into a semi dark room with your new lens and test it out. Again, I don't think I would try this on your first wedding. There are so many distractions and hardships that go hand in hand with your first wedding. Try something like this when you are more comfortable with your wedding shooting.

And shoot manual. Embrace it. Love it. Learn it......and you will be fine.

Good luck, and please share your photos with us when you are done editing.
Hugs and the best to you,
Cindy

Well I'm not a wedding person but the whole shooting with the flash backwards is awesome. Thanks! I will have to play with this :)

Great tip on the funky flash and on the lens of choice.

I am starting volunteer work photo-ing at my local animal shelter, just had my first session (sort of) tonight. I decided to start with cats since the numbers for adoption for them compared to dogs is staggering. There's a small (6'x10') "get aquainted" room with a 2'x4' fluorescent fixture in the ceiling. Had a helluva time trying to any setting to come out right. I took a couple different lenses with me and what I found was that the 50mm was too tight of a shot and the 12-24mm works, but you have to get awfully close. I think the 35mm would be a good choice.

After reading above, I went to B&H and Andorama but could only find the 35mm f/2.0. Any suggestions on where you found the f/1.4 or would the f/2.0 be adequate?

BTW, great shots with the flying funky flash.

EDIT: Wow, so I found two on B&H Import and a Demo. Double the cost of the f/2.0. Mmmm......

Hi Ajay.
I almost always shoot the ceremony at 1600 2.8 40th of a second, manual, unless it's unusualy bright or outdoors. I can adjust from there. It's a good starting point for me.

You can get the walking down the aisle at 40th of a second? The few that I tried, I found even 60th was too slow. What's your technique for that?

One peice of advice I would give you prior to the wedding, would be to shoot manual. Program and AV won't cut it here. The light is too low.

Cindy, that is great to hear from a pro! I was a little confused at a wedding this summer.... I was shadowing a pro, and she was giving me all sorts of tips and advice. The ceremony was about to start, and she said "What do you have your camera set on?" I was shooting full manual, and she told me that I'd never get the shots that way, I needed to switch to aperture or shutter priority. I just smilied and nodded, but was surprised and a little confused by that advice.... been questioning my self ever since (not that I've shot any different, just wondering "what if"). So THANK YOU!!!!

Jason

Great tip on the funky flash and on the lens of choice.

I am starting volunteer work photo-ing at my local animal shelter, just had my first session (sort of) tonight. I decided to start with cats since the numbers for adoption for them compared to dogs is staggering. There's a small (6'x10') "get aquainted" room with a 2'x4' fluorescent fixture in the ceiling. Had a helluva time trying to any setting to come out right. I took a couple different lenses with me and what I found was that the 50mm was too tight of a shot and the 12-24mm works, but you have to get awfully close. I think the 35mm would be a good choice.

After reading above, I went to B&H and Andorama but could only find the 35mm f/2.0. Any suggestions on where you found the f/1.4 or would the f/2.0 be adequate?

BTW, great shots with the flying funky flash.

EDIT: Wow, so I found two on B&H Import and a Demo. Double the cost of the f/2.0. Mmmm......

Yeah the price of that lens is extreme, but it has a camera all it's own because I use it so much. Seriously, it lives on it's own camera, and is usually what you see in my hand 70 percent of the time.

A few tips on shooting animals with this lens:
Shooting backwards flash is PERFECT for this, because you won't be freaking the critters out by blinding them. Use that 35, above their head so that they have to look up. If you think of it, put a small treat in your lips, so they pay total attention to you. They will get those sweet pleading eyes who will make all those wanna be pet owners chose them.
What a great thing to do!!!!!!! I might try to donate some time doing that to. It's such a wonderful idea.
God bless ya!

You can get the walking down the aisle at 40th of a second? The few that I tried, I found even 60th was too slow. What's your technique for that?

Cindy, that is great to hear from a pro! I was a little confused at a wedding this summer.... I was shadowing a pro, and she was giving me all sorts of tips and advice. The ceremony was about to start, and she said "What do you have your camera set on?" I was shooting full manual, and she told me that I'd never get the shots that way, I needed to switch to aperture or shutter priority. I just smilied and nodded, but was surprised and a little confused by that advice.... been questioning my self ever since (not that I've shot any different, just wondering "what if"). So THANK YOU!!!!

Jason

Hi Jason,
I never shoot rec/pro because I suck at it. Hubby shoots that, and he always foofs for that. So no, this wouldn't work for pro/rec.

Yeah, it depends on the pro. Some things will work for you, and some things won't. I use a hodge podge of stuff I learned from various mentors and seminars I've attended. I just use what I've found that works for me.
:)

Yeah the price of that lens is extreme, but it has a camera all it's own because I use it so much. Seriously, it lives on it's own camera, and is usually what you see in my hand 70 percent of the time.

Soooo, do you think the f/2.0 is a worthy alternative in the conditions I described above? The reviews I've read on it all sound very positive.

I've spent a fair amount on lenses recently and the 35mm wasn't on my list. However the 105mm f/2.8 still is, which takes priority.

Thanks

Hi Ajay.
Thank you for your kind words.

Ok, I know this isn't a popular answer but here it goes:

On receptions, I usually end up at 1600 2.8 at 250th of a second. Again, manual, and again I adjust for the light. It's another of my standard starting points.

The nifty fifty is a good lens and a wise purchase. Yes, it will help. If you still aren't getting enough light at 2.8, crank that puppy down all the way to 1.8.

Because this would be your first wedding, you need to practice this alot first. I'd rather see you use direct flash and get the shot, than miss it with a fairly funky fined tuned thing like this.
When you practice, go into a semi dark room with your new lens and test it out. Again, I don't think I would try this on your first wedding. There are so many distractions and hardships that go hand in hand with your first wedding. Try something like this when you are more comfortable with your wedding shooting.

And shoot manual. Embrace it. Love it. Learn it......and you will be fine.

Good luck, and please share your photos with us when you are done editing.
Hugs and the best to you,
Cindy

Thanks Cindy for starting this thread. Im shooting a wedding tonight and will use the bacvkward flash and settings!!

I probably don't do this as much as I should...but I do tend to bounce off of all sorts of crazy things and spots! I'll even bounce off of a particular spot because of the color it might be (ie: it will add warmth to a part of the picture etc.) I just can't wait for my next wedding so I can play with my 430ex as a wireless slave to my on camera flash! I previously used my 285hv for that but it really sucks to have the dj lights setting off the optical slave.

I haven't used the F2 so I really don't know. I do know however that the 1.8 is worth the money at twice the price. :)
Can you tell I'm a fan?
BTW, looking back through the photos I posted on this thread, they are ALL the 35mm 1.4

I do know however that the 1.8 is worth the money at twice the price. :)
Can you tell I'm a fan?
BTW, looking back through the photos I posted on this thread, they are ALL the 35mm 1.4

:pale: I just knew you were going to say something on those lines. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

I’m surprised by people be surprised about shooting with the flash backwards, I do that a lot even with just family snapshot because my flashes seen overwhelming bright to most and that is the easy and fastest way to make them less intrusive

Most reactions

Back