Some Informal Park Shots of Son

ChrisNL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm brand new here but figured I'd just jump on in after my introductory post! I've been shooting like crazy since I got my Canon 60D last month, trying to get my chops up. I'm very new at this, so any and all advice/guidance is deeply appreciated. I went to the park with my son Russell today and shot with a Tamron 17-55mm in Manual, tweaking and adjusting as I went for variations in light. It was a cloudy day, so it was a bit of a challenge at times to make the photos look less than dreary. Thanks for looking, and I apologize in advance if I'm doing something wrong regarding the photo uploads.

View attachment 52049

View attachment 52050

View attachment 52051

Uploads worked fine; it looks like you're well on your way to capturing lots of family memories. A couple of thoughts right off the bat if you're interested in more appealing compositions: Avoid placing the subject in the centre of the frame; a bit off to one side or the other is generally much more visually appealing (search "rule of thirds"), and remember that when shooting portraits, the vertical, or portrait orientation will often allow a better composition in terms of "more person" in the frame and less empty or negative space on the sides. You might also want to spend some time over here reading their excellent tutorials on all aspects of photography.

Uploads worked fine; it looks like you're well on your way to capturing lots of family memories. A couple of thoughts right off the bat if you're interested in more appealing compositions: Avoid placing the subject in the centre of the frame; a bit off to one side or the other is generally much more visually appealing (search "rule of thirds"), and remember that when shooting portraits, the vertical, or portrait orientation will often allow a better composition in terms of "more person" in the frame and less empty or negative space on the sides. You might also want to spend some time over here reading their excellent tutorials on all aspects of photography.

Thanks so much for the feedback, and thanks for the welcome on my first post. Yes I need to concentrate more on portrait orientation when taking these types of shots. I am going to check out the tutorials now. What a great forum.

Most reactions

Back