Some models are crazy...

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I've been all over Model Mayhem lately looking for models, and ive had some great luck... but today I had a CRAZY MODEL.

I started talking with her about a possible tshirt company photoshoot, no one gets paid, not even me, but she gets to keep the tshirts. She was all excited to be a part of it, and even asked if I could do the shoot this weekend, so I emailed the company and asked them!

So then she asked if during our shoot, if I could do some additional shots of her for some clothing that SHES SELLING, and of course I agreed...

So I then mentioned to her that if I wasn't able to get the company to send the shirts for this weekend, I would do HER shots she needed for 30 bucks, to cover my cost to travel where she wanted (about 20 miles).

SHE FREAKED OUT... she was like
OMG I CANT BELIEVE YOUD CHARGE ME FOR SHOTS - I DONT WANT TO WORK WITH YOU ANYMORE - HOW RUDE COULD YOU BE!?

Now I understand as a model she's used to getting her ass kissed... but why do they think they work for free?

haha, that is pretty crazy. I mean 30 bucks is a full tank of gas to travel 40 miles round trip, so that is a bit steep if you are charging just for traveling, but seriously if she had a problem she could talk to you like a normal person.

IMO you avoided a situation that could have been worse should it happen in person during the photoshop (that is, you dont do every single thing she wants).

LOL Right?

I emailed her, and explained that I, just like her, need payment for time/equipment/gas, etc etc, and I meant no harm.

She apologized, and agreed to work with me if I wanted, although, I don't know if I will now.

Crazy.

So, are you paying her $30 in expenses to come and model for you for free?

Only seems fair.

She doesn't sound so crazy to me. You asked her to work for free (you can't buy groceries with t-shirts) and then want to charge her to go there and shoot her pics. Sounds like a goose/gander thing to me.

JD

So, are you paying her $30 in expenses to come and model for you for free?

Only seems fair.

She doesn't sound so crazy to me. You asked her to work for free (you can't buy groceries with t-shirts) and then want to charge her to go there and shoot her pics. Sounds like a goose/gander thing to me.

JD

Well, not really. She's not working for him - she's really working for the t-shirt company. They're both working for free for the t-shirt company, but I assume they're both getting something out of it (she gets t-shirts and exposure, he gets something valuable for his portfolio...or maybe it's a close friend or something), so it's all good.

When he shoots something to help her business, that's a little different. My guess is that it's not going into his portfolio - he's glad to do it anyways just because, you know, he's a nice guy and it's only a little skin off his nose. But if he's not otherwise going to be coming out there....then it's different. That doesn't seem at all unreasonable.

It's always the same situation. I go to a friends party just messing around with the camera and take wonderful action shots of the evening. Then she shows another friend who wants me to come to her birthday party with only official photographer status (not drunk rowdy many with a camera status) and still expects things for free? No. She also got all upset, so models aren't the only ones who don't think straight sometimes.

xfloggingkylex do you think $30 for travel expenses for close to an hour travel is unreasonable? I do contract computer work at times, and I charge $30AU (22USD) for anything that I have to travel more than about 10km to.

I dont think its ridiculous by any means, I was simply stating that if he is charging just for the expense of gas and getting there, then yes 30 dollars is a bit much for a 40 mile trip.

I figure gas is about 3 dollars a gallon, the average car gets about 20mpg, so you'll use 2 gallons of gas on your trip, give or take of course. Even at 10mpg you are only using 4 gallons of gas, and at 3 dollars thats just 12 bucks. factor in the very slight amount of wear to things like brakes, oil use, and tires for the minute fraction of life you are using, and I'd say 15 dollars is a fair price to change for traveling such a distance, maybe even 20.

Since he isn't charging for his service, just the actual traveling, I do feel that 30 dollars is a little steep for such a short trip, and lets face it, 40 miles can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour, so 45 minutes average... less if you take highways.

As for your contracting, Im not sure what gas prices are for you, but that would be the biggest factor in the travel price.

He's not just charging for shots, though, he's charging for time. Shooting photos of her modeling clothes that she's selling benefits her, but I'm not sure how that benefits him. Another way to have handled it would have been to say, "If the tee shirts don't come in this weekend, we'll just reschedule the shoot for when they do come in, and I'll shoot you modeling the clothes you're selling at that time. Otherwise, I'll have to charge for travel expenses."

After her little outburst, I would be wary of working with someone so.. touchy. But people deserve a second chance, right?

So I've been all over Model Mayhem lately looking for models, and ive had some great luck... but today I had a CRAZY MODEL.

I started talking with her about a possible tshirt company photoshoot, no one gets paid, not even me, but she gets to keep the tshirts. She was all excited to be a part of it, and even asked if I could do the shoot this weekend, so I emailed the company and asked them!

So then she asked if during our shoot, if I could do some additional shots of her for some clothing that SHES SELLING, and of course I agreed...

So I then mentioned to her that if I wasn't able to get the company to send the shirts for this weekend, I would do HER shots she needed for 30 bucks, to cover my cost to travel where she wanted (about 20 miles).

SHE FREAKED OUT... she was like

Now I understand as a model she's used to getting her ass kissed... but why do they think they work for free?

he didn't mention time, just travel expenses for a 20 mile (40 round) trip.

The way I took the post was that she was helping him with this Tshirt company first. Even though he isn't getting paid he is probably getting something out of it, be it shirts, a good word to be spread to other companies, portfolio pictures, whatever... unless he is really that altruistic to do it for the sake of helping someone with no personal gain what so ever.

Then, she asked him to do her personal stuff. So at this point she has already agreed to model for his cause, and asked this as a favor in return. He says yes but asks for 30 bucks to cover travel costs and she flips.

I may have totally got this wrong, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Kyle, you got it PARTLY wrong.

Here is the timeline:

1. I asked her to do shots for the tshirt company, which she readily agreed.
2. We tried to come up with a time we were available, and she said she was available this weekend, and I told her I would have to see if the tshirt company would be able to send the shirts by then.
3. She then asked if I would be willing to take some OTHER shirt shots, for another company (either she owns or works for, I didn't ask) and I readily agreed, since we'd already be shooting MY shots.
4. I mentioned that since I wasn't busy Saturday, I would be willing to come out to HER to do HER shots IF the original tshirt company was UNABLE to send the tshirts - charging her for the time/gas of traveling 20+ miles.

I am not getting paid for the tshirt company I originally contacted her about, and neither would she beyond the free shirts... but with HER shots, I had no IDEA if they would be worth putting in my portfolio, or if I would even be ALLOWED to do so, so I offered her a fair rate. (I thought so at least)

Work for trade will always be a sketchy deal. Have fun with it. Start adding on costs models and (potential) clients will naturally freak. If you are concerned explain at the start how things will go down. Consider all the different scenarios and always have a plan B. Communication is the key.

Love & Bass

Kyle, you got it PARTLY wrong.

Here is the timeline:

1. I asked her to do shots for the tshirt company, which she readily agreed.
2. We tried to come up with a time we were available, and she said she was available this weekend, and I told her I would have to see if the tshirt company would be able to send the shirts by then.
3. She then asked if I would be willing to take some OTHER shirt shots, for another company (either she owns or works for, I didn't ask) and I readily agreed, since we'd already be shooting MY shots.
4. I mentioned that since I wasn't busy Saturday, I would be willing to come out to HER to do HER shots IF the original tshirt company was UNABLE to send the tshirts - charging her for the time/gas of traveling 20+ miles.

I am not getting paid for the tshirt company I originally contacted her about, and neither would she beyond the free shirts... but with HER shots, I had no IDEA if they would be worth putting in my portfolio, or if I would even be ALLOWED to do so, so I offered her a fair rate. (I thought so at least)

Oh I got ya, thanks for the correction.

But, if she's cool now I wouldn't put her off especially since she seemed pretty excited to do your shoot.

Ive decided to use her, if the company accepts.

Thanks all!

SHE STRIKES AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

So I talked to her and told her the company wanted to know the status of her hair, it once was blonde and now is brunette... I told her they were looking for a BLONDE model.

She is brunette now, and told me "oh well"...

THEN I get a email from the tshirt company!!! She looked on my list of credits, figured out what company it was and then CALLED THEM TO ***** AT THEM SAYING They were GOING to use her and DIDNT!

WHAT A PSYCHO!

Indeed - she is now off my list!

Most reactions

Back