Some More Flower Shots

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I think these are a little more interesting... what do you think?

$DSC_0301-2.JPG

$DSC_0310-2.JPG

Thanks!

I think perspective and lighting are your issue. Both of these look to be taken in full sun. The first could benefit from a narrower DoF and some fill light (I carry a 22 inch reflector which isn't too bothersome). The next you've cut off petals with no real benefit to composition. The light is very harsh. I usually only shoot flowers either in the morning or in cloudy conditions. If I can't do that I use the reflector to shade the spot before taking my shot. Try looking at the flower from different angles before you take your shot, keeping the background in mind.

I think perspective and lighting are your issue. Both of these look to be taken in full sun. The first could benefit from a narrower DoF and some fill light (I carry a 22 inch reflector which isn't too bothersome). The next you've cut off petals with no real benefit to composition. The light is very harsh. I usually only shoot flowers either in the morning or in cloudy conditions. If I can't do that I use the reflector to shade the spot before taking my shot. Try looking at the flower from different angles before you take your shot, keeping the background in mind.

Thanks...

I woulda had a narrower dof, but I left my 50mm f/1.8 at the motel so I was stuck with the kit lens. I kinda like the cut off petals. I didn't take the picture like that, I have the full thing available, but I liked the way this looked. It was actually pretty cloudy when I got out there but then it got sunny as soon as I started shooting -__- I'm getting a reflector soon so I'll definitely employ that technique in the future.

The reflector will help you tons for this kind of shooting. It can serve as fill or diffusion if you get one of the zipper kinds. My personal photos have really stepped up since I got and learned how to use mine. As for the kit lens............. well I just leave mine at home. It's not as sharp as I like by half. Grant it, I have a love affair with primes. When I'm out shooting botanicals I have 3 lenses available. The f/2.8 100mm, the f/1.8 50mm, and my 24-105L when DoF isn't as critical. The 24-105 is sharpest at 5.6 but I've found that it's reasonably sharp at 4.5-5.0. The 100mm, however, is by far my go to lens. The absolute best bang for your buck, in my very limited opinion.

Oh and one more thing about the 5-1 reflector... you can use it as a background to limit distractions. This shot would have not worked well at all if I hadn't been able to tone down the busy background. Simply popped the reflector behind it with the black side facing me and then crouched so that my shadow was shading the subject and took my shot (I was using a tripod and a shutter release on a cable). For around $25 that reflector is the most useful item I've purchased.

IMG_4543 by Throwcherrybombs, on Flickr

I'll go ahead and tell you right now that I have that reflector but it is HUGE. Very unwieldy to carry around. I have it and don't use it. I went with the 22" for the second go round and I'm much happier!

Really? All the reviews are awesome. Do you have a link for the 22" ?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm not saying it's a bad product! For sure when I have someone with me and maybe later if I do portraits or something or have a stand for it, I'm sure I'll use the snot out of it! However, to carry it around is impractical. You either have to fold it up after every use (annoying) or carry that giant thing around (more annoying).

Amazon.com: Fotodiox 5-in-1-44 42-Inch Premium Grade Reflector Pro Collapsible Disc: Camera & Photo

That's the one I have.

But that's 42 inch.... I love doing portraits, so maybe the larger one will suit me.

I'm not saying it's a bad product! For sure when I have someone with me and maybe later if I do portraits or something or have a stand for it, I'm sure I'll use the snot out of it! However, to carry it around is impractical. You either have to fold it up after every use (annoying) or carry that giant thing around (more annoying).

Amazon.com: Fotodiox 5-in-1-44 42-Inch Premium Grade Reflector Pro Collapsible Disc: Camera & Photo

That's the one I have.

But that's 42 inch.... I love doing portraits, so maybe the larger one will suit me.

I'd go for the big one if you're more into portraiture! I have the same one, it's a great tool and a super cheap way to enhance your photos!

Or, make it an abstract. (Diffusers are easy to make from PVC and semi-opaque plastic sheeting.)

$9476877455_4c764e5015_o.jpg

I really must agree with the logic to not shoot flowers in direct sunlight, my best shots are always in the shade or under overcast skies.
This is one I shot on a cloudy day

White Flower 2 by JoneeBlack, on Flickr

Most reactions

Back