Some nightlife/party photographs

ChrisOquist

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.aperculture.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A few weeks ago, I was hired to photograph a holiday party at an apartment building downtown for a promotions company. I decided to bring my 580 EX and wireless transmitter so i could light them off camera, hand-held, and just walk the room and shoot people as they hung out.

My girlfriend ended up coming along and offered to stand at my side and hold the Speedlite up high, which was great because it gave the light a direction I couldn't have accomplished were I holding it with my own arm.

I decided not to use any kind of diffusion and use fairly powerful blast - I found the hard light gave the shots a an edge and a sharpness that I really like. Nonetheless, I'd love some critiques. What do you think of the look of these shots? Does anyone find these very harsh?

Thanks!

PMPO%20-%20Archstone%20008%20RFW.jpg

PMPO%20-%20Archstone%20020%20RFW.jpg

PMPO%20-%20Archstone%20024%20RFW.jpg

PMPO%20-%20Archstone%20050%20RFW.jpg

PMPO%20-%20Archstone%20053%20RFW.jpg

Like the hard, off-camera lighting...it does give them that edginess. What I don't like, however, are the bright spots that it creates on people's faces. People's faces are often a little sweaty or oily, which makes the problem worse...but the small light source also tends to accentuate or point out that people look sweaty or oily. When I shoot portraits, I will often touch up those spots on people faces. Might be a big job for something like this though.

I agree with Big Mike on the bright spots, but overall I really like these.

I was hired to go shoot a chili cookoff/surprise birthday party for this Sat and I plan to hold the flash off camera as well, but I think I am going to use my diffuser to spread the light a bit more.

Patch tool in photoshop would take care of this in a second.

One thing I might suggest, not sure if anyone would agree, but the light does look a bit harsh in the sense that it makes the white spots on the face...would a diffuser over the flash gun work? Maybe slow sync the flash to bring out more detail in the background???

Other than that, these are really nice photos, I'm not sure why, but I love the depth of field on the bartender....

Most reactions

Back