Some of My Infrareds

Sure, all shots are taken with the camera's white balance set on auto, which creates a very red image. Then, upon opening in Camera Raw I use the custom white balance tool to select a spot that should appear as white. This will create a sort of pinkish effect. Nothing else is done in Camera Raw. Once it opens into Photoshop, the first thing I do is go to Levels and select Options. This will open another box where I select Snap Neutral Colors and then click ok. This will alter your image to look more contrasty. Usually it does the trick perfectly. The next step is going into the Channel Mixer and swapping the blue and red channels. This will turn the picture from pinkish to the ghosty white and blue. That's it...unless the image needs some noise reduction or other such tweeking (curves, sharpening, etc).

As a sidenote, some lenses will create a "hotspot" right in the middle of the picture. I've tried to get some info on this and it seems to have something to do with the coating on the lens and light getting in (I'm not much into the techno part of things...I just like making art). The lens I use (being Canon's kit EF-S 18-55mm) does often create the hotspot...so additional tweeking is needed to get rid of it. Usually it's not that bad to equal it out.

I will gladly post a thread with some screenshots of my workflow as soon as I get a chance!

Hope that helps!

Melissa, that helps a ton!!! I really want to get a R72 filter and give this a shot. If you could post a detail thread of your workflow, that would be a tremendous help. Thanks for taking the time to explain!

I ordered a R72 a few days ago, Im excited about getting it now after finding this thread. Thanks!

I got one from Adorama for $40.

I got a Lee #87 resin IR filter for my Cokin P holder for my 30D. I've been totally unsuccessful with getting any images. Do you cover the eyepiece when you shoot long exposures?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back