Some of my nature/outdoor shots *PLEASE NO SERIOUS CRITIQUE*

LeighannaA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Please do not seriously critique my pictures. I work very hard on them and would only like constructive, not destructive criticism. Thanks!

So, here are some of the shots that I have taken outside with the company of my dog, Jasta. (You will hear about her a lot ;)) Without further adieu, here they are!

$ih4006.jpg$mv3rqd.jpg$153usqv.jpg (<-- Jasta)$307u4jl.jpg$mc4th4.jpg$2pyoqc2.jpg

I hope you enjoyed them! Anything you post will be greatly appreciated :)

Because you said what you said I have some real issues commenting on your photos.

If you don't want a serious critique, how will you learn?

I'm sorry but they all lack something. Keep shooting and spend a lot more time learning the basics.

I strongly recommend looking at other peoples work, find a photographer you like and study their work.

Because you said what you said I have some real issues commenting on your photos.

The only way you can improve is to open yourself up to criticism. Everyone here is willing to help, IF you let them

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with the other comments and think you would be wise to reconsider your attitude towards critique and editing. I am a total amateur when it comes to photography. I have learned much from criticism and letting others edit my shots. You can see this in my recent "White Crowned Sparrow" post. We all love to hear how wonderful are shots are, but you learn when someone points out what could be improved. Granted there are some who take delight in criticism (I wonder if they also enjoy kicking a dog. ;)) without and helpful input. Ignore them. That is rare on this forum. Here, there are many who genuinely like to help others and share what they have learned.

Keep in mind, criticism of one's photos is not criticism of one's self.

Anyway, again, welcome aboard! Lee

Hey Leighanna, I see some good things going on here. ALL of these photos "are about light". Photography means light-writing, ore writing with light, so it makes sense that all these images have a very large component that addresses "light" and "lighting conditions". Even the flower addresses lightm, in that trhe background is composed of a SHADOW...a form of nature's light-writing.

I would suggest the books of John Hedgecoe...he has some fabulous lessons that show and tell how to FIND light that makes photos of a certain type. Like, let's take the shot of the black dog: that has al all-ove sort of soft look that is called veiling glare. That lens in that condition at that focal length suffers from/offers/has veiling glare. It's sort of like a fog filter effect, or a mist filter effect. THAT can be used as an effect.

The sun shining through the paned window, with the snow outside and the hardwood trees in their winter state...again, a shot about "light".

Your photos 1,2,3,4,5 are basically emotional responses to "light"...they have a soft-ish, impressionistic, ethereal feel to them; these are not crisp, boring, dull, direct renderings, but are more painterly, more impressionistic, more evocative. Many hobbyists never get to the point where they can deal with these kinds of images.

Keep shooting, Keep seeing the world through your eyes and keep revealing your vision with your camera!

Please do not seriously critique my pictures. I work very hard on them and would only like constructive, not destructive criticism. Thanks!

How do you expect constructive criticism but not serious critique? That's like asking someone to answer you yet not wanting them to talk to you.

If you don't want to know what people think on this forum, my suggestion would be not post photos.

Hey Leighanna, I see some good things going on here. ALL of these photos "are about light". Photography means light-writing, ore writing with light, so it makes sense that all these images have a very large component that addresses "light" and "lighting conditions". Even the flower addresses lightm, in that trhe background is composed of a SHADOW...a form of nature's light-writing.

I would suggest the books of John Hedgecoe...he has some fabulous lessons that show and tell how to FIND light that makes photos of a certain type. Like, let's take the shot of the black dog: that has al all-ove sort of soft look that is called veiling glare. That lens in that condition at that focal length suffers from/offers/has veiling glare. It's sort of like a fog filter effect, or a mist filter effect. THAT can be used as an effect.

The sun shining through the paned window, with the snow outside and the hardwood trees in their winter state...again, a shot about "light".

Your photos 1,2,3,4,5 are basically emotional responses to "light"...they have a soft-ish, impressionistic, ethereal feel to them; these are not crisp, boring, dull, direct renderings, but are more painterly, more impressionistic, more evocative. Many hobbyists never get to the point where they can deal with these kinds of images.

Keep shooting, Keep seeing the world through your eyes and keep revealing your vision with your camera!

Wow Derrel, this is probably one of the most helpful and tactful posts I've seen, especially given the strict requests set forth by the OP. Well done and thanks for teaching me something too.

[golfer-clap]

How about a very serious "hello"?

And a sincere "welcome".

Tell us what you wanted when you took these photos? Were you looking for sun flare and impressionism type look? If You were, then bravo! If you were not,
how can we help without critique?
Welcome, you will learn alot here.
Nancy

Unseriously... The first one is kind of interesting to me, not sure why but I like it. The others PERSONALLY dont do anything.

Well I do know newbies think that they are going to get slaughtered on a photo critique (we've seen it in the past), thus the apprehension. I did the same type of title before lol

Plus they are trying and want to learn but many of the techniques are past the level. One key thing I've learned is that what "I see", and the "emotional aspect it gives me" is not what other people see. As a photo one has to think emotionally generically at it, to see if it evokes what one emotionally sees in order for other people to see it. Sunrises, sunsets, and clouds/sun is a genre I've worked at and it is really hard but fun.

that being said, I like the flower. The other ones don't speak to me.

Derrel, you must be having a really good day
images

Hi: Welcome to TPF and good luck with your photography. OK here's some constructive criticism. You pictures have an interesting lighting effect that is caused when you shoot into the sun. It's called flare and spreads out into the picture. If you like that, great. If you want less of it, keep the sun out of the picture like in your last photo with the flower. In that photo the sun is on the right. I can tell because the flower's shadow falls to the left. Note how the flower and hand is clearer and you can see more detail? That's because the sun was out of the picture. I enjoyed your photos. Keep shooting and posting. Alan.

Most reactions

Back