Some of my picks from the Air Show @ Luke AFB

boomer

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Let me know what you think. this was my first time taking pictures like these. Was also wishing i had a nice 70-300 lens or something.

Here's the whole set:
Air Show at Luke AFB 09

A few picks:
1)
3384295314_3bf8a12e7e_o.jpg

2)
3383482995_6c0dd94155_o.jpg

3)
3383482955_90e14ea1f8_o.jpg

4)
3383483121_e258036fdb_o.jpg

5)
3383483397_25bc76fa64_o.jpg

6)
3384296280_d46218cc3a_o.jpg

Very nice :) I see you went on Sunday, I was there on Saturday and the F-22 had some issues and had to land before the heritage flight...

I do have a 75-300mm lens, and they aren't quite enough for many of the shots. I at least wish I had a 400mm. There was a guy standing next to me with a 200-400 with a teleconverter, I wish I could have seen some of his shots!

My only tips would be to generally not shoot into the sun. And when your taking photos of prop planes, using a slow shutter would make it look nicer. When you take the photo with a quick shutter you freeze the propeller and it looks unnatural.

On #4 though I think what you did was just fine, when you use a slow shutter you would naturally have to pan with the aircraft, but with the tail in the shot it wouldn't look as good that way.

In my opinion the airplane is too small. There's too much sky. Crop it!

Very nice :) I see you went on Sunday, I was there on Saturday and the F-22 had some issues and had to land before the heritage flight...

I do have a 75-300mm lens, and they aren't quite enough for many of the shots. I at least wish I had a 400mm. There was a guy standing next to me with a 200-400 with a teleconverter, I wish I could have seen some of his shots!

My only tips would be to generally not shoot into the sun. And when your taking photos of prop planes, using a slow shutter would make it look nicer. When you take the photo with a quick shutter you freeze the propeller and it looks unnatural.

On #4 though I think what you did was just fine, when you use a slow shutter you would naturally have to pan with the aircraft, but with the tail in the shot it wouldn't look as good that way.

Thank you for the tips! all very true! the first few shots i took were coming out a little blurry, so i upped my shutter speed without thinking about the prop planes. i will try that for sure next time.

How was the wind on Saturday? My camera was COVERED in dust by the time i left on Sunday :(

In my opinion the airplane is too small. There's too much sky. Crop it!

I do agree to an extent and almost all my pictures have been cropped already. i was just worried about them looking too pixelated if i kept going with the cropping. i was only using a 24-120 VR lens :meh:

Wind was fine on Saturday, but we missed some of the displays. I didn't see a jump team or the C-17. And the F-22 had whatever problem like I said before and didn't fly with the heritage flight.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back