Some old slides got me wondering...

Found a stack of old slides circa 1979 documenting my trip to Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. They've held up fairly OK. Here is a sample (scanned in and tweaked in photoshop):

Philmont Scout Ranch 1979
by Peeb, on Flickr

Question: do analog shooters still rely much on slides, or is it mainly prints?
Sorry for being late but I'm new to this forum. If Kodachrome 64 would still exist (r.i.p best slide film ever) I would still use slide! But now I use Ilford for b/w and Kodak for colour film.
Found a stack of old slides circa 1979 documenting my trip to Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. They've held up fairly OK. Here is a sample (scanned in and tweaked in photoshop):

Philmont Scout Ranch 1979
by Peeb, on Flickr

Question: do analog shooters still rely much on slides, or is it mainly prints?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Ah Kodachrome, I remember it well. The bane of every friend and relative who in stoic politeness sat through hours and hours of vacations slide shows complete with running commentary, weak jokes and of course, coffee and coffee cake. I firmly believe that without the lure of the imminent partaking of coffee cake Kodachrome would have died off far sooner, for it was the prospect of coffee cake that made the whole slide show pageant bearable. :biggrin-new:

I wonder how many digital images taken today will be around in 38 years............
Same question the other way round [emoji55] ...and I wonder how many digital images will be lost forever because of storage errors...[emoji55]

Some say 99% or more.
We live in the most photographed times ever. But less than 1% will remain. Saw a great sentence on the window of a photo store in Christchurch NZ: "Print it or loose it!"
I use both. As a professional I use digital for my clients... but for personal and family I only use film....

Cheers, Gerhard

Ah Kodachrome, I remember it well. The bane of every friend and relative who in stoic politeness sat through hours and hours of vacations slide shows complete with running commentary, weak jokes and of course, coffee and coffee cake. I firmly believe that without the lure of the imminent partaking of coffee cake Kodachrome would have died off far sooner, for it was the prospect of coffee cake that made the whole slide show pageant bearable. :biggrin-new:

I remember that well. Usually the guests would fake a headache and leave early even if that meant skipping dessert. Of course now, I have my slides on DVD to play immediately on the HDTV while they're sitting around. Seems to work better.

Speaking of Kodachrome, here are some I scanned that are my wife's parents from 1967-1971.
Family - 35mm Kodachrome

I wonder how many digital images taken today will be around in 38 years............
Same question the other way round [emoji55] ...and I wonder how many digital images will be lost forever because of storage errors...[emoji55]

Some say 99% or more.
We live in the most photographed times ever. But less than 1% will remain. Saw a great sentence on the window of a photo store in Christchurch NZ: "Print it or loose it!"
I use both. As a professional I use digital for my clients... but for personal and family I only use film....

Cheers, Gerhard

We are currently living in a digital dark age. Yes, we have tons of info swirling about us now, but in 100 years most of it will be lost to the ages.

I keep humming Paul Simon....

I've always preferred slide film and was a big fan of Kodachrome. These days I still prefer slide film -- I shoot mostly Fuji Provia 100 and some Velvia 50. But unfortunately it's kinda expensive these days. Typically $10 or more per roll. I do my own E-6 processing though, so I'm saving quite a bit of money there.

There are only a couple of C-41 emulsions these days that I think can come close to the sharpness and saturation you get with slide film: Kodak Ektar and Portra. I actually prefer Portra over Ektar -- Portra 160 to be specific. Great saturation and very fine grain.

I know this thread has been out there a few days, now but since it's coming back, here's another thing to think about. I have boxes of old photographs, dating back to the 1800 tintypes. A few have notes about who is in the picture, but most don't. Being the oldest remaining in our family I've identified some from memory, but I don't have a clue who many are, and there's no one left to ask.

My point is if you have old photographs, slides, or even as you take new ones. Make it a point to document in some manner so if the images survive future generations can know the who, what and where of the image.

If you are digitizing these old photographs, usually you can include this sort of information in the photo's metadata. That way the info is permanently associated with the image.

Most reactions

Back