Some out of the ordinary shots...

xxx_jpk_xxx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I went up to the gallery that is showcasing one of my works last night (there were a lot of visitors due to the fact that last night was a Gallery Stroll night). I brought my camera with me (like I do everywhere else) and I found some pretty interesting shots there. Here are the two that I ended up liking enough to post on my website:

C%20022.jpg

C%20023.jpg

Tell me what you guys think. If you like these, I have a LOT more that are similar to this style on my website. Just click on the banner in my sig to get there. :D

To be honest I think they're pretty boring.

If you're going to say something like that, at least give me some advice on how to make them less boring.

oooh looks while creepy like something out of saw movies. has that horror movie atmosphere about it. maybe coz i seen about 3 horror movies today. i think they'd look better bit bigger coz theres a lot of detail in them. they look cool

The first one looks interesting, mostly because of the object.
If I have to be honest with you, the whole

www.mywebsite.com
my copyright

with the big, flashy letters just ruined the whole experience.

I've been planning on (maybe) redoing my watermark, but I just redid it in the last week. Would it be better if I made it a little smaller, but kept the same image?

I think the boring comment was in reference to the subject matter. I also do not find them interesting.

The first one is something on the side of a cement wall I guess. I don't think that really makes for a great photo.

I would start by finding more interesting things to photograph. If you are going to photograph ordinary everyday things, like a sink, then you have to come up with a new twist on it; otherwise, people will say 'boring.'

I think the boring comment was in reference to the subject matter. I also do not find them interesting.

The first one is something on the side of a cement wall I guess. I don't think that really makes for a great photo.

I would start by finding more interesting things to photograph. If you are going to photograph ordinary everyday things, like a sink, then you have to come up with a new twist on it; otherwise, people will say 'boring.'

Bingo.

You can't make these shots less boring unless you photograph the same objects in radically different light and/or composition.

As for your portfolio, I looked through it and some of it is good, but in a very amateur, accidental sort of way. The truth is that you have a lot of work ahead of you. The only shots in your portfolio that "work" are abstract or abstracted, i.e. some of the patterns, or normal scenes abstracted into shapes. They're interesting, but it's clear that they're not really so intentional. All the "normal" photos...people, plants, buildings, etc, are boring at best; the compositions, the exposures.

I would regroup. Pay more attention to light and tone than color. Pay more attention to form than shape.

It's clear that they're not intentional? Um... thanks. Most of my shots are pretty thought out. Even the ones with the light patterns (I plan out how I want to zoom in and move the camera). There are very few on there at are actually "accidental".

If these are "pretty thought out," and they look like this, then the only thing to do is regroup your thoughts.

I mean that quite seriously.

If you want to take it as an attack, that's your prerogative but I don't mean it as one. Visualizing your shot should go well beyond how you will "zoom in and move the camera."

I do more than just zoom in and move the camera. I usually take the picture thinking in terms of how I want to post-process it. I think about the feeling and tone I want the picture to have. I think about composition and (trying) to make the image flow. I usually try to give the photo some meaning to me, but there are those cases where that's really hard and it's more of a "I think this will look cool as a photograph" thing.

I'm not exactly quite sure what it is that I need to be rethinking... Are you saying I just need to change my composition and exposure?

My personal opinion is that you should stop thinking about objects, colors, and textures. Think light. Study it. Sit down and stare at something for a long, long time. Feel it. Imagine it. Your subject or scene should be very alive, or very dead as if just killed. But not lifeless; that is to say, boring. Stucco is boring. Pipes are boring. Trees are boring. Things are usually very boring. The subject or object doesn't mean anything. It doesn't exist to your camera when there's no light. So don't shoot it. Shoot the light. Because the subject isn't often interesting. I see a thousand metal pipes a day. But show me a pipe with light exploding around it like somebody just opened the ark of the covenant...then I'm intrigued.

Most reactions

Back