Some photos for CC

I have not comment either way on 1&2.
But for 3 I would have placed the flower in the bottom right of the frame as it is facing up and left (right now I feel it's facing out of frame). I wouldn't focus on the spiderweb as it is just a bit of a distraction at this point. For post processing- I'm pretty anti-yellow, so I make it a habit to selectively desaturate the yellows in a largely green scene, as I think it makes it look a little more pleasant.

Okie dokie, here we go...#1 Technically the photo is fine. I wouldn't have clipped off the first two lightpoles or whatever those are.But, most importantly, what about this scene impressed you? There must have been something there, but I'm not sure what it was. What was it specifically? Was it a thing? A feeling? A reltationship? The light? What do you think you could have done to more clearly communicate that intended "subject"? I feel like you've got several things that are going on this image that you could have been communicating so I'm unsure of the purpose of the .
I went to the beach, an honestly was pretty blah. I felt underwhlemed and overwhlemed. .
I think #1 is a solid composition. I can only gripe about the two clipped lights up top, and that's a pretty small gripe. I can tell you took your time. I know you have a strong artist background but I can't remember how long you've been shooting? 2 months? My point is, it seems to me that you have become comfortable with solid composition and avoiding noob mistakes. This is good. Now it's time to take the next step and to really start making some bold statements with your photography. I think you did that fairly well with #2. #3, not so much, but I'm certain it was better than the way you are describing your previous attempt. It sounds like you're on the right course, so keep truckin'.
I've been at it for a month. I've been drawing for 10 years. Any tips or links on how to communicate with a photo? If I want to a photo of a flower, what are some ways I can give a simple subject a more then average impact?

The main consideration in photography is the light.

No light, no photograph.

Crummy light, crummy photograph - even if the composition or the subject are great.

Good light, good photograph - and the subject doesn't have to be anything spectacular either.

Some blank sheets of sketching paper thumb tacked to a piece of foamboard will do, if the lighting is interesting (single hot shoe flash unit):

PadBArtSquare8-3-10D300A_0009.jpg

Or an old time telephone booth lit by a couple of hot shoe flash units:

BoothIID907-28-9_020.jpg

I am a huge fan of B&W, but for me, as much motion is in the water and as many lines of shadow and light and everything that is going on, I personally am troubled with the choice of B&W on the first photo. To me, you have the choppy water, the clouds in the sky; it tells me that I am looking at troubled water. Then on the other hand, the sun is shining down on the pier, there are people enjoying themselves. There seems to be a conflict of emotion.

2)I can't decide if I like the B&W or if it would appeal to me more in color. That is my personal conflict, not anything critical of the photo. I am digging the isolationism, but I think that would have been better achieved without the pier. Showing the woman sitting at the edge of a choppy ocean by herself on a deserted beach and nothing else would really tell the story of her isolation.

3)Doesn't really do anything for me. Trust me, in my short time with a real camera in my hands I have tried macro and I can't say I have come up with anything better. I think this type of photo is very difficult. You have to get a message of some sort across with something very small. You obviously can't get a lot into the shot, but somehow you have to get a lot of something out of the shot. 'A' for effort, but this will soon fade from my memory.

The main consideration in photography is the light.No light, no photograph.Crummy light, crummy photograph - even if the composition or the subject are great.Good light, good photograph - and the subject doesn't have to be anything spectacular either.Some blank sheets of sketching paper thumb tacked to a piece of foamboard will do, if the lighting is interesting (single hot shoe flash unit):
PadBArtSquare8-3-10D300A_0009.jpg
Or an old time telephone booth lit by a couple of hot shoe flash units:
BoothIID907-28-9_020.jpg
Ex-freaking-actly

I find the first two to be a bit dark. But I kind of have a hunch that that is what you were going for. If it was, then more power to you. However, the first photo has a strange composition. It's hard to understand what the focus was. Was it on the waves? Or the pier? Too many elements in the photograph are fighting for the viewer's attention.

The 3rd photo is OK. The background is kind of distracting. The colors are good, but I think that maybe the highlights on the flower might be blown out just a bit?

Yeh I would def recommend creating a Flickr account

My Flickr

Flickr: blackrose1981's Photostream

Curious, what makes Flickr better then Photobucket?

Flickr is more photography-based. It has a more active community, that is full of like-minded people.

Photobucket is generally a "dump-and-run." From my experiences, you just put photos on their as storage, and networking is not really what it was designed for. It's also used for a PLETHORA of images ranging from illustrations to those god-awful kissy face photos that are on Facebook.

Granted, you can post whatever you want on Flickr, but mostly it is used for photography, and in that regard it is generally more respected for the medium.

It's also about the visual impact of the gallery- which can enhance the viewing of your photos by the user. For this, I find myself drawn to Smugmug.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back