Some photos from a newbie!

Sarah23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone! I didnt know if there was an introduction board or not...so if there is I'm sorry I'm posting this here...but I'm Sarah and obviously new here!

Im a stay-at-home mom of 2 little ones, and just got my first digital SLR camera!! My husband got it for me..its a Canon Rebel XTi and Im still in the process of learning.

I wanted to post a couple photos and get some constructive criticism. Im looking for truthful -but not rude- answers here. Ive always LOVED photography, but just never have the chance to get into it much until now. I've been lurking and reading for a few days here...and was a bit nervous about posting...just because I have seen some rude responses...but I've gotta get some thick skin about this or else I will never let anyone see any of my photos, lol!

Anyway...here are a few. Just keep in mind I've only had this camera for 5 days and am very much an amature and still learning!!

TIA!

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

Hey Sarah!
Welcome to TPF!
Good pics you got there to start with. Now coming to the critique part,:wink:
1. is a bit too harsh I feel - selective coloring is best when its subtle, I feel
like the coloring in 3. nice colors!
6 has a really good bokeh, you can develop on it to get some good shots!

And not everbody here is that rude :mrgreen: Remember the only way to learn is to take as many pictures as possible and keep asking questions!

Hey Sarah!
Welcome to TPF!
Good pics you got there to start with. Now coming to the critique part,:wink:
1. is a bit too harsh I feel - selective coloring is best when its subtle, I feel
like the coloring in 3. nice colors!
6 has a really good bokeh, you can develop on it to get some good shots!

And not everbody here is that rude :mrgreen: Remember the only way to learn is to take as many pictures as possible and keep asking questions!

thank you for responding!

Ok...stupid question...what is bokeh?

bokeh in very basic terms is the blurred background as in the last shot.
More info from wikipedia HERE

thank you for responding!

Ok...stupid question...what is bokeh?

Its a Japanese word for Blur, Its the out of focus area in the background.

And actually, no offense. I believe that was bad Bokeh, When it creates the circles/disk like that, its bad, but when it blends together well, its good.

But yea, the shots are pretty good, Keep up the work.

You can check this out if you want.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/bokeh.htm

Its a Japanese word for Blur, Its the out of focus area in the background.

And actually, no offense. I believe that was bad Bokeh, When it creates the circles/disk like that, its bad, but when it blends together well, its good.

But yea, the shots are pretty good, Keep up the work.

You can check this out if you want.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/bokeh.htm

ok. so what do I do differently to help not have the circles? I just have the kit lens right now for my Rebel...18-55mm. I just used the Macro setting on it.

ok. so what do I do differently to help not have the circles? I just have the kit lens right now for my Rebel...18-55mm. I just used the Macro setting on it.

I think its all in the lens. I'm not real sure though.

I think its all in the lens. I'm not real sure though.

haha, ok. Well, I wont be getting another lens until I figure this one out and get a feel for what I want to do. I have a lot to learn! Thanks for your input though!! Im learning a lot on here!

haha, ok. Well, I wont be getting another lens until I figure this one out and get a feel for what I want to do. I have a lot to learn! Thanks for your input though!! Im learning a lot on here!

Hah, same here. Only reason I knew the thing about bokeh was because it was in a book that im reading about my camera, and im currently on the lense section... So they were talking about DOF [depth of field].

Hah, same here. Only reason I knew the thing about bokeh was because it was in a book that im reading about my camera, and im currently on the lense section... So they were talking about DOF [depth of field].

I had never even heard of the term, so thank you! I read that link you posted, and some other stuff about it. I just cant believe how much there is to learn!

I had never even heard of the term, so thank you! I read that link you posted, and some other stuff about it. I just cant believe how much there is to learn!

Ken Rockwell has alot of information on his site, its good to read up on it. My brother has the xti, I have the D40.

Most reactions

Back